12,000-Mile Service Completed

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MEM62

12,000-Mile Service Completed

Post by MEM62 »

Just had the big 12,000 mile service completed on the RT. Close to £500 lighter and I can't even ride it!!
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Re: 12,000-Mile Service Completed

Post by MikeS »

Where did you get it done? I didn't think there were many places open.
My local dealership is in lockdown for the foreseeable future.
Last edited by MikeS on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rider1260

Post by Rider1260 »

Mines in also , getting tires , Valves and TB sync , I'm doing all the oil to save $$$ next service I may do everything.
Motoworks Chicago is doing pickup and delivery for any service work.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

I just did my 12,000 mile service about 2 weeks ago. Oil and Filter change, Air Filter replacement, Rear Differential fluid change, Gearbox oil change (also lubed splines), Spark Plug replacement, TB Sync, Valve Check, Inspection per BMW, read On-board computer and reset maintenance reminder with GS-911. Figure it cost me my time plus about $175-200. Laid up the bike for the weekend of on and off work at a casual pace.

Generally the regular maintenance on these bikes are not too difficult. I have a Clymer manual and reference some web sites and YouTube videos for visual assistance. A torque wrench is essential as well as a small selection of tools. I have a GS-911 that is probably the most expensive tool but in long term a worthwhile investment. I did borrow a TB sync tool, but otherwise minimal tools are required, mostly Torx drivers and some Metric sockets. I've purchased an assortment of crush washers needed and have an extra BMW or K&N oil filter always around as well as 15W50 oil and Castrol 75W90 Gear oil.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

MikeS wrote: Where did you get it done? I didn't think there were many places open.
I think, but stand to be corrected, that the vehicle-sales elements of both car and bike dealers are closed, but the workshop sides of the businesses are allowed to open. Most independent car workshops in my area are working, and at least a couple of smaller bike workshops are too - main dealers might be different though.
Pete
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

MikeS wrote: Where did you get it done? I didn't think there were many places open.
It was done at Bahnstormers in Alton.  Their workshops at Alton and Maidenhead are both open.  In fact, at the moment they will even collect and deliver your bike for free.  (I believe the collection and delivery costs are being covered by BMW)

I have a very nice video made by the technician that did the service  :-)