Hello Everyone!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
organist

Hello Everyone!

Post by organist »

Hello everyone! A new member here from South Northamptonshire, England. I have a recently acquired R1200RT 2007 which i bought just before the lockdown started! I have been able to use it for shopping and it is quite amazing how much shopping one can get in the two panniers, top box and original tankbag. I managed to get over £80.00 worth of shopping plus the wife on it the other day. I feel quite confident with all the weight and equally confident that, if stopped by the Rozzers, I do have a legitimate reason for being out on her.

I graduated from a F700GS which was a cracking bike and now enjoy the extra stability and solidity which this bike gives me. I have a couple of problems which will need sorting as soon as the supplying dealer gets back to work. The first is an intermittent (very intermittent) failure of the ABS system to work. This happens very sporadically and is accompanied by the 'brake failure' warning light staying on. This almost always resets itself on the nest switch on. I do not notice any difference in the braking ability. The second fault is a strong smell of fuel at certain times. I have checked all around the machine and I can confidently say that there is no leak. Thirdly, It ran outof fuel the other day, even though the display said that there was about 40 miles left, and I don't think that the low fuel light came on. Other than that, for a machine with only 28,000 miles on the clock, it seems to be a cracker and I am very happy.

Thank you, in advance for your welcome and I look forward to learning more about my machine as time goes by. Lets hope that we can all get on our bikes soon and this dreadful time is over!

God bless you all.

Richard.
BMW R1200RT (2007 vintage)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by simbo »

Welcome to the forum Richard, and may God bless you and your family also  :)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

From me also, Num 6:24-26
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Welcome, Organist.  Seems simple, but have you checked that the fuel cap is securely locked?  I had a problem with the plastic elbow joint atop the fuel pump, which had developed a crack. It's located under the tupperware on the upper left side of the fairing.  Give it a sniff.  If memory serves, you don't have to take off the main tupperware over the fuel tank, just the bit that houses the radio, if you have one. Enjoy the bike, it's a wonderful machine.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

organist wrote:The second fault is a strong smell of fuel at certain times. I have checked all around the machine and I can confidently say that there is no leak.
As posted above by Jack, I believe this is what he is referring to, viewtopic.php?p=48008#p48008

There was also a "technical campaign", viewtopic.php?p=6925#p6925
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Good morning and welcome.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Hiya, I'm near Towcester, see you at supersausage or jacks hill sometime.
organist

Post by organist »

Old-Git wrote: Hiya, I'm near Towcester, see you at supersausage or jacks hill sometime.

You'd better believe it, my friend. I will definitely see you there!

organist

Post by organist »

Thank you all for your kind welcome! Just to let you know that me and the missus went down to Tescos at Banbury yesterday evening and squeezed in £123.00 worth of shopping in to the old girl including a ten bottle box of Corona. I had to take the bottles out of the box though. I think with the missus on the back we were pushing well over half a ton. I knew I had a wheight onboard as the steering was a little lighter than usual, but I still got over 57mpg on the way home!
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Enjoy my friend and welcome .