Still can't find a solution to this question on main beam

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Still can't find a solution to this question on main beam

Post by gadgetgaz »

I want to tap into the main beam circuit to operate a relay to power aux lamps.
On a 2014 water cooled bike I cannot find any wiring going to the headlight unit. Where is it? I've searched the internet and find lots of info about changing bulbs, leds, hids etc, but nothing about tapping into the wiring.
The fuse under the seat is not switched as it's constantly live.

I've looked under, over and behind with the side panels off and can't see any wiring.
I may have to look at the handlebar switchgear wiring instead.
Has anyone managed to do this?

2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
Old-Git

Re: Still can't find a solution to this question on main beam

Post by Old-Git »

I tapped into the din socket wiring to signal my roadhawk camera. If it's only to signal, and not to power the realy, should be OK for you? HTH
R2K

Post by R2K »

I believe you will be able to find the headlight wiring behind the speaker on the left side.  High beam is the yellow wire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

R2K wrote: I believe you will be able to find the headlight wiring behind the speaker on the left side.  High beam is the yellow wire.

Great, thanks I'll have a look behind there.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

R2K wrote: I believe you will be able to find the headlight wiring behind the speaker on the left side.  High beam is the yellow wire.

Thank you again. It was easy to find and quite accessible. High beam turned out to be the white wire though not yellow.
Job done, I now have a three way switch to turn off the lamps, to turn them on or have them automatic with the high beam. Cheers again.
R2K

Post by R2K »

Sorry about the wire color mixup I was going from memory.  Glad I was able to help.