General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

RT TC

Post by simbo »

Interesting read for TC owners, copied off the RT Facebook page.

[size=2px]Why do I run 2 twin-cam RT's???[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]So I bought the first one, a 2010 twin-cam, in 2014 with 27,000 miles on it. I loved it from day one. I couldn't believe how stable it was in the turns, it didn't weave, wobble or shake it's head. The engine just pulls from any speed in any gear, and all with a happy "yeah no problem boss" attitude.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]At the time in 2014, I had an aging FJ1200 which I had reconditioned, and to be fair it ran and handled really well, even more so after a suspension refresh. It gave me the touring bug and after reading lots of road tests on many bikes I settled on the RT as my next steed. I actually had 2 FJ's, having bought a high miler on eBay with a slightly rattly engine but loaded with all the touring goodies I wanted, a super comfy King/Queen seat, and also 3 brand new discs as well, mine were nearly shot and damm they are expensive. All those goodies went on the 1st bike and all the rubbish was put aside to go on the older "Bitsa" as it became known. Bitsa sat in bits for about a year, but on deciding the RT was the way forward, all the bits were rounded up, cleaned up, and reassembled. MOT was booked and passed, and then a hopefully one-way ride on Bitsa to look at the RT I had settled on at a non-BMW dealer. A deal was struck and I rode the RT home! Oh the comfort, smoothness and listening to the radio to boot on a warm sunny April afternoon! It remains a memorable 150-mile trip! The plan was for the nice FJ to be the hack but I just loved riding the RT so much, taking 50-mile rides home from work (a 14-mile journey) that within a couple of months the Lovely old FJ had a new owner and I was down to just the RT. No hardship at all on an RT![/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]A long digression so back to the RT, I've toured on it, commuted on it, Sunday blasted on it, cheerfully sat on tails of sports bike riders through a set of twisties, grinning as I see the riders double-take as they mirror check to see the big bugger still on their tail - oh the sheer joy and hilarity of a moment like that! Sure they can power away from me on the straights but a hollow obvious victory for them, they can't get any real pleasure from it can they?[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]I have racked up 10-12,000 miles a year on it, it only ever let me down once when after starting the engine after a coffee stop, the starter motor was still engaged and making a horrible noise! I let it cool down, put it in 6th gear and pushed the bike forwards, and one strange clunk later, the starter motor disengaged, engine than started and ran fine, and it has never given me a problem since (apart from a gearshift bracket breaking off the subframe, story in another post on here).[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]It still gives me a smile every time I open the garage, whether I'm going for a ride or not. But in 2018 the faint but none the less loudening call of a LC version finally could be suppressed no more and I took out a demo bike from Bahnstormers of Alton about 40 miles away from where I live in Sussex. I know the great roads around that area well, often included on my long Sunday morning rides, so the LC was put through its paces. Yes it was smoother, slightly mote powerful (I was expecting more of a difference however) and the quickshifter was a nice edition. I liked it but... I dunno, couldn't quite put my finger on why I wasn't sure about replacing the twin-cam. A chat with the sales guy put the last nail in the coffin of a deal - it would have cost me £15,000 to change for a new bike just 7 years and 1 generation younger! I smiled, said thatnks but no thanks and hopped on my 2010 and rode home. And then a magical thing happened, for the first time ever after test ride/drive, riding my own bike home was far more of a pleasure than the newer machine I'd left behind. It was like putting on your favourite clothes and shoes - pure comfort, familiarity, and to within a couple of percent, really no worse than the new machine I'd just experienced. That ride home was another of my most memorable rides - 100 miles to get the 40 miles home, just simply enjoying the machine I'd come to love, I almost felt guilty thinking of replacing it and I think it knew as it gave me an amazing ride home that day.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]So where does the 2nd twin-cam come into this? Well before buying the 2010, I had test ridden a 90th Anniversary Model from my local dealer in Brighton and loved the Black and Gold colour scheme. So the hunt was on for a very late, immaculate and low mileage 90th to sit alongside the 2010 which by now was showing nearly 65,000 miles and had become much more of a workhorse for my RoSPA and NEG activities, and giving me a lovely clean bike for rideouts and touring. In October 2018, I found a really clean 17,000 mile 63 plate (late 2013) 90th Anniversary for £8k private eBay sale, with Nav4, Akrapovic (and standard) colour matched top box and a full-service history. It was exactly what I was looking for and I was happy to pay the asking price and beat the rush viewing it the day after it went online (the guy told me he had had 20 calls on it after my viewing and before I collected it, but I had got in first, having twice missed similar bikes! Dealers had these up for £9-9.5k so I was happy. Best of all I now had 2 bikes for £8k rather than one for £15k![/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]The twin-cams are so easy to work on, I do it all myself, with a mixture of genuine and factored parts, I have the servicing tools I need and 2 slots on a mate's 10 slot GS911 for any electronic and servicing resets etc. On top of routine servicing, the 2010 has also had: Stands/rear subframe/some fairing brackets/wheels and footboards all shot-blasted and powder-coated, a new clutch plate (precautionary as rear subframe was off and the gearbox was the only other item needing to be removed.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]I have added louder horns, USB sockets for GoPro/GoPro remote/phone charging and satnav feeds and some ram mount balls for satnav and drinks bottle holder - a real blessing in the summer now I have a flip front helmet - why did I resist these for so long? I would never go back now, full face feels positively claustrophobic![/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]I love both the bikes, and I really can't ever see me parting with them, especially the 2010 as we have been through so much together during our 6 year/50,000 miles in each others company, and now at a total of 77,000 miles she still feels fresh and sounds sweet and crisp. It has even only ever needed one valve clearance shim changed![/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]There really is no other bike I would rather ride than a twin-cam RT.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Thanks for reading if you made it this far - it unintentionally turned into a bit of a short story![/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Ride safe all![/size]
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: RT TC

Post by Casbar »

Not really, I have put over 17k miles on two 07 RTs and a 2010 RT, I still love riding them and if I couldn't have afforded to have a 2014, and now a 1250 I would happily ride either. But the two LCs I have owned are in a different league. But each to their own. I also quite liked the R80s I had, but that was  then and this is now :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A good read, I can relate to quite a lot of it. I came to RT's from a 2004 Honda VFR800 VTEC. Some of the local IAM boys rode RT's and I thought they can do what I want to do in comfort. As we know, it's not what you ride but how you ride it. They had skills, which at the time, they were coaching me in. 2007 started my relationship with RT's, the first being a Hexhead.

In 2010, I bought my first Camhead and was looking forward to getting a new 2014 Wethead. Had some idea of the cost to change which I was prepared to pay. The Wethead was launched in early 2014, went to my local dealer to have a look. The colours didn't grab me, nor did the cosmetic appearance. Came away feeling underwhelmed, decided to keep the Camhead.

Later in 2014, ended up having a good test ride on a Wethead, I just didn't gel with it. Felt that some of the boxer twin engine character was missing etc. Yes, the engine was good but not the same, more free revving. The panels etc. didn't seem as strong or well secured. On the demonstrator, one of the small side panels was missing and when a mirror was folded out, the back fell off it. The bike was returned to the dealer.

Having a look around the showroom, I spotted a very low mileage 2012 Camhead. For £3,000, plus my 2010 Camhead as part ex., the deal was done. Looking back, I should have probably bought one of the last new Camheads at the end of 2013. The present bike is a keeper, I don't see myself changing it. Hence getting it Hilltop'ed, I know they've come in for a hammering but it did what I wanted it to. Plus I'll probably get the exhaust headers Cermakrome coated to enhance and maintain the appearance of the bike.

I concur with the above post with respect to the Camhead's manners on the road. Plus the bit about sitting on the tail of sports bikes. It takes me back to my 2007 Hexhead, had some fun with a guy on an R1. Although not a lot of difference, I do think the Camhead is a little more entertaining to ride than the Hexhead.

I agree that the Camheads are perhaps not as complicated as the Wetheads to maintain. I usually think about the valve clearances for example when considering this. I like retro and prefer the way that the bodywork on the Camhead covers most of the framework. The Wethead looks more like a Jap four cylinder bike with exposed frame tubes etc.

I respect everyone is different, therefore, please don't see this as me bashing the Wethead, it's just my personal choice.
Last edited by David. on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Love my ‘11 tc. I don’t love the stock rear shock. Had it rebuilt recently and honestly I should have just bought an aftermarket shock instead. The bike only has 22k on the odometer. Advice on which one to get would be greatly appreciated!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sorry, can't help you with an aftermarket shock but it might be of interest that BMW only warranty the suspension, inc. rear shock up to 30,000 miles.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

slowvet wrote: Love my ‘11 tc. I don’t love the stock rear shock. Had it rebuilt recently and honestly I should have just bought an aftermarket shock instead. The bike only has 22k on the odometer. Advice on which one to get would be greatly appreciated!

Give 'Hagon' a ring/email, they'll be able to build and supply a shock suied to your weight and riding style.
[size=2px]http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/[/size]
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

simbo wrote:
Give 'Hagon' a ring/email, they'll be able to build and supply a shock suied to your weight and riding style.
http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/

Shipping to the USA will be painful!
John Bentall
slowvet
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

simbo wrote:
http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/

Much appreciated! Was hoping there would be a stateside solution.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

slowvet wrote:Was hoping there would be a stateside solution.
Hagon have a distributor in Canada, http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/common/pa ... stributors

Got Hagon fork springs & rear shocks on my XJ650. Hagon were good to deal with and matched the rear shock springs to my specifications.
slowvet
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Thanks David I’ll look into it👍