Heed rear crash bars

Got a BMW R1200RT/R1250RT for sale? selling some accessories?
Malcvtr

Heed rear crash bars

Post by Malcvtr »

These were fitted to my R1250RT, but I’m pretty sure they’d fit the R1200RT LC too because the whole of the footrest bracket/frame area looks identical to the R1250RT.

Anyway, these have been on for about 300 miles (simply because I’ve hardly ridden the bike). I’ve decided to take them off as I’m not riding much at all and they look a bit big if you ride without the panniers as I do most of the time.

Anyway, they’re £137 posted via eBay. They are gloss black. They fit very well - the holes all line up! Everything is there, including the original instructions.

Stupidly, I took them off before photographing them, so there is a picture attached from eBay.

£90 posted.

hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: Heed rear crash bars

Post by hammo »

Do not know if you received my message , if they fit a 2018 RTLE i,m definately interested cheers Hammo.
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

hammo wrote: Do not know if you received my message , if they fit a 2018 RTLE i,m definately interested cheers Hammo.
Yes I did, thanks, and I've replied. Apologies for the delay - DIY jobs kept me busy [emoji16]
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

I don't know if they'll reply, but in addition to the approach I suggested in my message, I've emailed Heed and asked the question [emoji106]
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Ok i will await for you to confirm many thanks Hammo
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

Just to add to my belief that these bars will fit the R1200RT LC from 2014, the Wunderlich site states that their rear bars, "Fits all model years of the R1200/1250 RT LC".

Since the Wunderlich bars fit entirely to the rear footrest brackets, these brackets must be identical, as I suspected.

The Heed bars fit to these same brackets and one other mounting point - the end of the subframe rail that the footrests attach to. I can tell you that the distance between the centre of the lower of the two footrest bracket mounting bolts and the centre of the subframe end bolt is just over 12cm - about 12.2.ImageImage
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

Now sold. Thanks.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Malcvtr wrote: Now sold. Thanks.
Bah. I would have had these. Ah well, question for you please - like you I ride with just the top box most of the time, but panniers will go on for longer rides / tours, how long does it take to fit / remove these bars?Thanks Nick
Last edited by Old-Git on Sat May 23, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Old-Git wrote: Bah. I would have had these. Ah well, question for you please - like you I ride with just the top box most of the time, but panniers will go on for longer rides / tours, how long does it take to fit / remove these bars?Thanks Nick

I now do the same, I fitted Illium rear bars, they take all of 5 mins to fit and remove. There is a UK distributor as well, sport touring in Wales.
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

Old-Git wrote: Bah. I would have had these. Ah well, question for you please - like you I ride with just the top box most of the time, but panniers will go on for longer rides / tours, how long does it take to fit / remove these bars?Thanks Nick
Hi Nick. Well, they're not quick, but I'd say you could do it in thirty minutes once you'd done it a couple of times.
The only awkwardness is where the BMW designers, in their wisdom, decided to have part of the bodywork under the seat swoop over and partially cover the upper of the two footrest bracket mounting bolts... But there is a simple workaround. There is a bolt securing part of the underside of the bodywork a few centimetres further along towards the rear of the bike. Remove this and you can gently bend the bodywork up and get access to the footrest bracket bolt.  I used three layers of electrical insulation tape on the bodywork at that point to make sure I didn't mar the paintwork. I've done it twice now and there's not a mark on the paint.
I would say that the Heed bars are well made and, unlike the Wunderlich engine bars I have, all the holes lined up perfectly.
Hope that helps.
You can see the offending area of bodywork in this pic:
Last edited by Malcvtr on Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

Casbar wrote:
I now do the same, I fitted Illium rear bars, they take all of 5 mins to fit and remove. There is a UK distributor as well, sport touring in Wales.
The Illiums are great but fiendishly expensive - I think they're well over £400 in the UK, aren't they?
Just checked - £429.99. That's a lot of dosh for the saving of time in my opinion. Nearly £300 more expensive...
Last edited by Malcvtr on Sat May 23, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

Hammo, I've sent you a message. Thanks.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Thanks Malcvtr and Casbar. The Ilium bars are lovely, but not £300 lovelier than the Heed, which is what I will be buying.
Malcvtr

Post by Malcvtr »

Old-Git wrote: Thanks Malcvtr and Casbar. The Ilium bars are lovely, but not £300 lovelier than the Heed, which is what I will be buying.
Hi Nick. Just in case it helps, the procedure I described for getting access to the upper footrest bracket bolt is shown in this video for the Ilium bars:

https://youtu.be/822XYJU0kjQ

Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Malcvtr wrote: Hi Nick. Just in case it helps, the procedure I described for getting access to the upper footrest bracket bolt is shown in this video for the Ilium bars:

https://youtu.be/822XYJU0kjQ
it does, many thanks.