Considering Coming Over from S1000R - What to know?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MattB_2020

Considering Coming Over from S1000R - What to know?

Post by MattB_2020 »

Hi all,
I’m considering trading in my S1000R (not RR) for a 2019 R1250RT. I love the sport bike qualities of the S1000R; throttle response, get-up-and-go, and how connected I feel to the machine. However...stopping to refill my tank every ~110 miles is getting old, especially for the other folks I ride with.

As I get older, my joints creak more, and my lower back screams, I figured moving to a R1250RT will give my body a break and allow me to participate in longer rides.

Anything you all think I should keep in mind as I consider an RT? I plan to test ride one in the next week or two (have to schedule an appointment thanks to C19),but in the meantime, curious what you think I might like/dislike about the bike.

Thanks all.
RC51 Tofuman

Re: Considering Coming Over from S1000R - What to know?

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

I love my 2017 RT.
No regrets

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

You should use the web-site cycle-ergo.com to compare the ergonomics of a number of touring machines.

While testing the R1250RT you should also test the K1600GT and the K1600B.

You do not mention which continent you are on (Europe or USA) but do consider also the Yamaha FJR1300 and the Kawasaki GTR1400/Concours [size=78%]- [/size][size=2px]both very fine touring machine for 4-cylinder fans.[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]You do not explain what you mean by get-up-and go. I can tell you that the 1250RT has about the same accelerative performance up to 120 mph as a 850cc Yamaha FZ-09/MT-09. [/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]The 1250RT is conceived as a torquey (as good as a KTM1290 SAS) touring machine. [/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
John Bentall
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

MattB_2020 wrote: Anything you all think I should keep in mind as I consider an RT? I plan to test ride one in the next week or two (have to schedule an appointment thanks to C19),but in the meantime, curious what you think I might like/dislike about the bike.

Make sure you give it a decent length test ride, I came to the RT from a Triumph SprintST which is a lot closer to the S1000R than the RT. For the first hour or so I hated it, it seemed it had too much weight and it was in the wrong place. After a while I got into it and and started to ride it like an RT rather than a Sprint. After a full day riding it I ended up buying one of the last oil cooled 1200's and last year switched to a 1250.

It will be different to what you are used to so you need to retune your brain. In a straight line it will be slower than the S1000R and no where near as rev happy, plus the weight distribution will be a very different. Also the huge amount of body work can be off putting until you are accustomed to it. But you can initiate a turn far faster than you think you can as well as carry far more speed through the corner, I've had Fireblades and the like try and loose me through the twisties unsuccessfully in the past, don't get me wrong - equal riders will always be faster on a blade (except if they are two up) but the difference is nowhere near as big as you think.

As you are coming from the S1000R I would also suggest having a look at the R1250RS and S1000XR. Personally I would not go back to a sports bike or sport tourer as the RT fits my main use perfectly but if I had the money I would probably get another bike just for Sunday morning blasts which would probably be either a S1000R or a Street Triple
Last edited by PeteM on Thu May 28, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rider1260

Post by Rider1260 »

My last bike was a Suzuki SV1000 and I can say the comfort is unreal 150-200 miles is a walk in the park, no longer sore after a 300 mile day. As for performance the RT ( mine is a 2008 ) feels as fast or in some ways faster than my old bike ( better roll on and high speed passing ) and these things handle way better than you would think , it is different , with little or no front end dive and the higher bars mean a lighter touch when cornering at high speed. Also much stronger brakes than my old bike. I have only ridden a couple thousand miles on her so far and only 400 on the new tires and I can say I am more impressed every ride. My only issue is tighter more technical turns and that is just getting used to the windshield ( looking thru ) and my head completely trusting the bike that LOOKS this big but handles so much better.
I did test ride the Yahama and the Honda both great bikes but heavier and wife liked the pillon position of the RT better.

[attach=1][attach=2]
Attachments
DSC_0215.jpg
IMG_5073.JPG
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

What is obvious is that the RT is a totally different ride to an S1000R , RT is a heavier bike how tall are you and what weight ? no disrespect but you have to bear that in mind when moving an RT around the garage etc , have a test ride for a weekend if possible , i found the stock windscreen to be useless if you are doing long rides even though some say its ok , the seat also is not welcomed by everyone , do you want a fully equipped one with topbox ? i would consider all these before you depart with your cash , and of course these days beware of the scammers !!!!! I found with the changes i made i now have an excellent all round touring bike.  Good Luck 
NLC

Post by NLC »

Your back will be much happier  :)) . If you are buying a used one look for one with a top box. £1,100 extra if you add this on later for the stock BMW.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

If you have the low seat, just be aware it is an absolute plank and your backside will be numb in less than 100 miles.
MattB_2020

Post by MattB_2020 »

Thanks gents for all the replies. Covid squashed my plans to buy, but now I'm back. Test riding a 2021 RT this weekend.

My only concern is I'm a short guy (5'7") and 165lbs, so I worry the bike will be unwieldy. Disappointing to hear the low seat will do a number on my backside as well.

Any folks on the shorter side manage the bike ok?
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I'm 5' 5" and cope with the bike no problem, low seat in high position - 29" inside leg. You might be ok with the standard seat in low position with that extra bit of height you have, I can without a passenger but as soon as SWMBO is there i need that extra bit the low seat gives me.

I find the low seat on the 1250 fine, the low seat on my wethead would have doubled as a torture instrument for the Spanish inquisition but for me the current one is a big improvement and I am happy for long days on the bike. I also hired an LC with a low seat in Canada before the world went crazy and that was fine all day.
thwak
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by thwak »

I'm 5'7'' 160 lbs. with 29" inseam and have no problems on 2019 1250. I had a low seat set in the low position and recently had it rebuilt by Russell into their Sport Seat model which raised it slightly but still no problem and very comfortable for long rides. However, if you feel that you have to have both feet planted firmly on the ground at all times, that's not happening.
2019 R1250 RT
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

I have 169cm and 120kg (I think it is 5,6" maybe in imperial) inseam 29".
2019 RT1250 standard seat low position I can manage it, even with my wife. However I found twice that it was a bit too high. One in Pembroke a cyclist just jumped in front of me and I had to do emergency stop. Was a bit slope, pillion and luggage. I didn't fall over. I did rescued using my muscles, but knee hurts after that for a quite time. Don't want to repeat it.
Low seat on low settings. Perfect for me. Both legs securely down. Very easy to manage. But there is catch. At least in my case. A weekend on a bike with low seat started be uncomfortable in my lower parts  ;D
Now I bought Sargent low seat. Did so far only 200 miles at one shot, but it is a difference in comfort. I will be able to tell more after few long trips, but so far I'm quite happy.
Sargent is a bit higher than BMW low seat, but I am still feel comfortable and secure.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Matt, if you are test riding the 2021 model, you can adjust the suspension as well to lower the seat height considerably.  Ask the salesman to show you how to set the auto suspension to "minimum".  That said, I manage the bike OK with the settings on Auto and the seat at the lower setting (adjustment under the seat).

I have a 29.5" inside leg and 5'7.5" tall.  I am on my 6th Rt (now riding a 2020 1250), when you get used to the bike it is surprisingly agile and it can move.  The torque in the new 1250 engine is a different league to the 1200s.

All in all a great bike and deceptively quick, good luck with the test ride.

smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Arek wrote: Now I bought Sargent low seat. Did so far only 200 miles at one shot, but it is a difference in comfort. I will be able to tell more after few long trips, but so far I'm quite happy.
Sargent is a bit higher than BMW low seat, but I am still feel comfortable and secure.
Had Sargent seats front & back on my '14 & swapped over to my '17.
40,000 ish miles with no discomfort whatsoever.  Far superior than OE.
Great quality.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Talisker »

In an attempt to summarise, if I may, buy the R1250RT.  They are fabulous machines, you will not regret it.  There are many well proven ways to sort the seat to your satisfaction.