Tyre Version Codes

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Tyre Version Codes

Post by David. »

B787MECH wrote:What are you going to fit when the “Approved” tyres are no longer available for your bike?
I'd select an originally "Approved" tyre manufacturer and use one of their recommended tyres for my bike.
B787MECH wrote:Riders of older bikes don’t stick rigidly to what was recommended back when the bike was new but fit the latest tyre of the correct spec.
With my 40 year old XJ650, I chose Continental tyres for their cosmetic appearance on the bike. My insurance company are aware of this, it's not seen as a modification because the OE spec. tyres are no longer available.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

David. wrote: Is this fitted to your 2017 Wethead 1200 for which Metzeler recommend both the Z8 & 01. What were the OE fitted tyres.
My 2016 LC came with Michelin PR4GT tyres which were fine but I changed to Roadtecs after reading the tyre tests and reviews, and believe they give better feedback and last longer. To be fair, modern tyres are all very good and most riders will never find their limits. By reading tests and reviews by respected journalists who are making direct comparative tests and can take them to their limits, it helps to make my decision.
After more than 40 years as a Licenced Aircraft Engineer (and qualified motorcycle mechanic) with over 45 years riding experience I like to make my own decisions based on experience and knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

After purchasing a bike, providing that the OE tyres are satisfactory, I usually stick with them. Used Metzeler Z6's on a Hexhead & a Camhead for 7 years. By default, ended up with a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 1's on the Camhead before it was traded in. The replacement Camhead came with Bridgestone 021's. Having dropped a VFR when riding on Bridgestone 020's, I had a hang-up about Bridgestone tyres. With Z6's breaking up in the centre and down to the cords on one occasion, decided to look for an alternative. Dunlop Roadsmarts were the choice, the local Police motorcycles were using them at the time. Have used them for the last 5 years without any problems. Whilst they are still available, I have no reason to change. If and when I do need an alternative, whilst Z8's are in production, will probably give them a try.

There are probably no bad tyres out there, just some that are claimed to be better than others. Tyres are a personal choice and you need to be happy in your own mind that they are right for you and your expected use.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like the local Plod are now using Michelin Road 5's, hopefully the "full fat" GT version.

Last edited by David. on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Here's what BMW told me last October:

"Good afternoon Kevin
Thanks for your patience.
I have contacted a BMW Centre and they have suggested that both Michelin PR4GT and Metzeler Z8 are still available for your bike. They have also suggested that you can also purchase the Royal Pilot 5GT or any GT tyre as they have a harder sidewall.
I hope that this information is useful to you but if I could be of any further assistance, please get back in touch.

Kind regards
Amani
BMW Group UK
Amani Al-Naggar
Customer Support Executive
BMW Customer Support "

Not quite sure what tyre a 'Royal Pilot' is but I took it to mean that a PR5 GT is fine.  Certainly feels okay.

Hope that helps.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »