Drain petrol tank ????

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
g2ggb

Drain petrol tank ????

Post by g2ggb »

I HAVE A RT 1200 oil cooled !! Today I managed to put around 17 litres of diesel into the petrol tank !! The good news is I didn’t start the bike . I’ve managed to pump around 10 litres out of it . Is there any easy way of draining the rest of the fuel out without removing all the plastics and the tank ? Thanks in advance
Greg
Greg
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Drain petrol tank ????

Post by simbo »

g2ggb wrote: Is there any easy way of draining the rest of the fuel out without removing all the plastics and the tank ? Thanks in advance
Greg

Home brew pipe and your mouth, syphon it out.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
g2ggb

Post by g2ggb »

😂😂 I purchased the said item from Halfords and drained the 10 litres out !! Due to the shape of the tank the rest is proving a little more difficult, hence the question !
Greg
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

g2ggb wrote:Due to the shape of the tank the rest is proving a little more difficult, hence the question!
The least you might get away with is, removing the LHS upper and main side panels. Remove the fuel pump and syphon the rest out from there. This is the lowest point of the tank which is accessible.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

If there is only a little left add a few gallons of petrol and then syphon that out. Whats left will be so diluted as to not do any harm. If you are worried about the cat remove it and run the engine on the tiny bit left.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

If you're siphoning it the old school way, using your mouth, to avoid the mouthful of diesel, use a transparent pipe so that you can see the level of liquid as you suck it up with the pipe vertical.  When the level is well above the filler mouth, quickly pinch it then bend the pipe down to the receptacle placed well below the bottom of the tank and unpinch it.

My question is (never having removed/exposed the tank) since there seems to be two tanks on either side of the top frame, do we have to somehow place the siphon to one side then the other to drain both halves?  I assume there is a connecting hose between the tanks at the bottom, but I'm not sure.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Having read this drain and flush tanks and fuel lines completely.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/accidentally-mixing-gasoline-and-diesel-fuel
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

It takes about 15 minutes to remove the LH side cover and get the fuel pump out. Once the pump is out you can get all the way down to the bottom of the tank, be careful not to bash the fuel strip, it is fragile.
A tip, if you dont want to suck on a hose to get a siphon started, blow compressed air across the end, this creates low pressure around the end of the hose and will suck fluid up the pipe.
g2ggb

Post by g2ggb »

Thanks folks I will have a go at removing the left hand panel and fuel pump first and then see how much more diesel I can remove
Greg
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

R1200RT Body Panel Removal and Installation, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UHU4ZQ2C_Q

This video is a bit long but does give an example of how to remove a fuel pump, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdyHT3pGm_A
Last edited by David. on Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
g2ggb

Post by g2ggb »

All sorted and fresh petrol in the tank !! I ended up removing the plastics and the tank to empty it ! Better safe than sorry 😊
Greg
g2ggb

Post by g2ggb »

Thanks for the input !
Greg