Coronavirus

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus

Post by David. »

austin1964 wrote:A little YouTube video on drop off system.

https://youtu.be/UrXsOof8HdE
Thank you, it's easier to see the "Drop off system" in action than describe it verbally.

Likewise, "Riders unfamiliar with the drop off system should start towards the rear of the group so that they can observe the good practice of others before it is their turn to be a Marker."
Last edited by David. on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Let's hope Premier Inn is safer!Maybe keep an eye on things

https://www.travelmole.com/news_feature ... id=2042936
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

At the moment, Premier Inn are taking bookings for stays from 4th July 2020 onwards, https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/faq.html
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

David. wrote: Please can I just add, when leading a ride out, all signed speed limits are adhered to. Yes, when in a NSL zone, (black & white sign), an exception may be made.

A group riding system is employed which does not require anyone to exceed speed limits.

I would also really like the RT meet to go ahead, I just don't feel comfortable with the current situation.

I'd like to clarify the ride out is well planned, good routes and everyone looks out for everybody so people can and do ride at there own pace (either at or over the signed speed limits).

What I don't appreciate is having someone message me and asking me "to reconsider" I.e remove my post as I could put people off attending.  Which was never my intention. (cant beat a bit of bold text)

The same should be said to the person, If you have no intention of going if the 6 group advisory isn't lifted and "if necessary the date can always be moved" should clearly post that and not message me.
You need to think about group members that are currently employed and can't just change work/family commitments at short notice IF you are suggesting changing dates post it it on here.

MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Is not possible to divide the riders up into three groups of six as a plan B? Then just have staggered start times? I appreciate that this is an interpretation of the rules but we could call it the new and improved Dominic Cummings riding system if questioned.

More of challenge will be the restriction on staying away from home overnight if the guidelines don't change. However, Premier Inn must be fairly confident to allow bookings after the 4th July.

I'm placing my trust in Simbo's insider knowledge and am hoping for the best.

Ps. If we do go with smaller groups please put me in with the Steady Eddie's (if there are any).

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I'm sorry to have caused any misunderstanding or distraction from the RT meet which is now in it's 5th year.

If the current "max group of six" isn't lifted, it's most unlikely I'll be attending the event. Should others wish to go ahead on the planned date, please feel free to do so. The route for the Saturday ride out is available to anyone, if you haven't got a copy and would like one, just PM me an email address.

I am not suggesting we change the date and appreciate some folks just can't change plans at the drop of a hat. I'm one of a possible 17 who have indicated their intention to attend the event. It's democratic, and I would always go with the majority decision. It's up to those who would like to attend to express their feelings and come to a consensus.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

I'm still up for going ... regardless if the rules change or not 👍
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

I'm planning on going depending on situation at the time, not so worried about rules as such more with infection rate etc. Nikki may not be going this year (as she not behaving herself.)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I'm still going, I've survived man flu in the past, so I'm not gonna let some little Chinese sniffle deter me 👍 Retail outlets are planning reopening on the 15th of June, so I can't see there being anything stopping hotels and pubs opening. Yes there'll be rules and guidance to follow, but I can't see it being a major problem.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MikeS wrote:Is it not possible to divide the riders up into three groups of six as a plan B? Then just have staggered start times?
If it's of any interest, I've been having a play about with BaseCamp, the route is now available in both clockwise & anti-clockwise directions.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

But we will all crash in middle.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The second of 3 P&T stops is at Emberton Country Park, near Olney. Whichever direction of travel is taken, its 2.5 hours from Peterborough +/- 5 mins. An ideal place to meet/avoid each other for lunch.

If the time spent at the first P&T stop is the same, should work out a treat.

The other P&T stops are at Uppingham & Arrington Garden Centre where space may be limited.

This was at Uppingham in 2018.

This is Arrington Garden Centre.

Emberton Country Park
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:The second of 3 P&T stops is at Emberton Country Park, near Olney.
Looks like there may need to be a change of plan. There is an entrance fee of £4.50 to Emberton Park. I've negotiated a reduced rate of £2.50. Perhaps it's best just stopping in Olney itself. There is free parking and a choice of eating places. I'll add Olney Market Place (War Memorial) to the route as an alternative.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:The other P&T stops are at Arrington Garden Centre where space may be limited.
The café at Arrington Garden Centre is not currently open, nor likely to be in July. Have chosen to push on to Cambourne where there is a Morrisons. Don't know if the café will be open, but at least a "P" plus food & drink will be available. Have also by-passed Bedford to save a bit of time between the P&T stops at Olney & Cambourne.

If Morrisons is busy, which it's likely to be on a Saturday, there is a pub & a couple of takeaways around the corner on the High St., or just use the Petrol Station.

Again, the route has been amended to reflect these changes.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Have chosen to push on to Cambourne where there is a Morrisons.
Have found a café at Manor Farm in Bourn, http://manorfarmbourn.com/things-to-do/the-cafe/

The café is open 9am until 3pm, would have to do the route clockwise for it to work.

They are hoping to be open, Morrisons could be a backstop or if doing the route anti-clockwise and it's after 3pm.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.