Coronavirus

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus

Post by David. »

The local IAM group are planning a ride out on Sunday. They are sticking to the guidelines of no more than six in a group. If necessary, they will have more than one group with staggered start times. The IAM HQ are ok with this but asked that care be taken at the start/finish points, plus P&T stops about the groups meeting up. It would appear that the concern is not to show motorcyclists in a bad light by congregating in large groups.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Here's an interesting scenario, the "I" is not me.

"Today I set off on a long journey but I soon realised something was not right, I pulled in and discovered my tyre was badly worn, flat tyre, I couldn’t fix it so called the AA.
NB I carry lots of tools , did all the checks before I set off and have a puncture repair kit, the valve had gone.

This is the important bit, they fixed it but said at the moment bikers were a real problem. If the bike had needed to be taken anywhere you, the rider, cannot get in the cab of either their vans or low loaders so they can take your bike but not you.

Where do they take the bike? Garage, without you or even home, I was 250 miles from home. Obviously all the other issues creep in, lone individuals, middle of a motorway between slip roads or service stations, middle of nowhere.

I posted a thread on a forum and both the RAC and Green Flag are the same.

If you have to travel and use a motorcycle it is quite a consideration to be aware of and check."

BMW Roadside Assistance will recover the motorcycle & provide a taxi for onward travel for the rider.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Here's an interesting scenario, the "I" is not me.

"Today I set off on a long journey but I soon realised something was not right, I pulled in and discovered my tyre was badly worn, flat tyre, I couldn’t fix it so called the AA.
NB I carry lots of tools , did all the checks before I set off and have a puncture repair kit, the valve had gone.

This is the important bit, they fixed it but said at the moment bikers were a real problem. If the bike had needed to be taken anywhere you, the rider, cannot get in the cab of either their vans or low loaders so they can take your bike but not you.

Where do they take the bike? Garage, without you or even home, I was 250 miles from home. Obviously all the other issues creep in, lone individuals, middle of a motorway between slip roads or service stations, middle of nowhere.

I posted a thread on a forum and both the RAC and Green Flag are the same.

If you have to travel and use a motorcycle it is quite a consideration to be aware of and check."

BMW Roadside Assistance will recover the motorcycle & provide a taxi for onward travel for the rider.

Scaremongering bullshit.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Should you become unfit to ride, BMW Emergency Services have confirmed that they would repatriate the bike.

Documentary medical evidence would need to be provided, but I guess this would be the same with all policies of this type.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Should you become unfit to ride, BMW Emergency Services have confirmed that they would repatriate the bike.

Documentary medical evidence would need to be provided, but I guess this would be the same with all policies of this type.

You're about 2 months late in spreading all this bollocks. 🙄
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Not sure if this is still current or not but recovery drivers were refusing people in cab. I've started to take comfy shoes as I ride long distance in case need to walk/hire car in event of problems. Just need to think a little diffrent in these times.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This was issued on 1 June by the RAC, https://www.rac.co.uk/covid-19

"We may not be able to take you in the cab due to social distancing."

Looks like BMW Assistance have got the situation covered by either paying for a taxi or providing a hire vehicle.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Looks like Superdrugs home testing kit for Covid didn't last too long.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/su ... 53181.html

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From Saturday, who's going to be in your "support bubble" and what will this mean to you.

My mother-in-law is 85, living at home on her own and relying on family for shopping. My wife and one of her brothers are currently sharing this task.
It's likely that my wife will become the "one" who, if necessary, will now be able to enter the house and not remain 2m apart.

I'm sure any singletons in a relationship are really looking forward to seeing their partner on Saturday.

Likewise, other folks living on their own must be pleased to be able to see other family members in their household and stay overnight too.

Choose carefully, "The bubble must be exclusive and you cannot switch households".
Last edited by David. on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

My mother is 86 and disabled. Nobody in authority is going to impose on me not visiting and checking on her health and welfare. Yes, I have my own key and let myself into her house. We observe self distancing and I sanitise my hands before entering. Common sense prevails, she gets the visit, I get the satisfaction knowing she is safe and well and I can aid her in any way. Win ,win all round, just a pity the hoards of under 30s don't seem to understand self distancing.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This might provide a little more reassurance for anyone, like me, who is a little nervous about staying away from home at a Premier Inn.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/cleanliness.html
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

In all honesty I can say that I'm looking forward to staying away from home.  I've stayed in Premier Inn's all over the country and never had a problem with the level of cleanliness.

simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

This'll be me when I'm checking in 😁
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
20200522_134208.jpg
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

I'll be behind you in the queue.
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
A7407830-D0B0-4F66-BBBF-54E75F8866C8.jpeg
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Really not helping my anxiety issues lads.