IAM Advanced Rider Training - Observed Ride #2

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: IAM Advanced Rider Training - Observed Ride #2

Post by Steve F »

Nobody on here confesses to be an ‘expert’, just a bunch of keen RT owners freely expressing their (hardly negative!) comments about another forum member’s videos. 🤔🙄
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

To be fair, the OP, didn't say please only comment if you have positive things to say! If you want to try a really impolite forum have a go at UKGSER.com, some real harsh banter and comments over there, they also allow all bike brands and not just GS's. Some great info though amongst the chaff. You could also try the R1200RT facebook forum, some great info on there as well.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

You'll be pleased to hear that my instructor, an IAM 'Master' has watched the video too. He congratulated me on both quality and content of the ride, liked the global YouTube responses, and said nothing whatsoever about me burning along at 34mph. Of the original ride itself he said 'you are safe' and was surprised how far I'd got, after 37 years off the bike, in only 9 weeks. I trust his judgement better than my own and know I have lot to learn.

A good trainer mixes encouragement with areas to improve. Some here need to try that.
guest4389

Post by guest4389 »

I have never heard of a run up to a speed gate  ROSPA & IAM in my area & Police riders I have ridden with always accelerate at the speed gate mirror check approaching blind spot check right before accelerating when speed gate is a slower speed you must be a the correct speed before you cross the speed gate Also there are not always repeater speed limits installed so there is no set distance from repeater to speed gate [speed limit change sign both sides of road]
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Back2TheBike wrote: You'll be pleased to hear that my instructor, an IAM 'Master' has watched the video too. He congratulated me on both quality and content of the ride, liked the global YouTube responses, and said nothing whatsoever about me burning along at 34mph. Of the original ride itself he said 'you are safe' and was surprised how far I'd got, after 37 years off the bike, in only 9 weeks. I trust his judgement better than my own and know I have lot to learn.

A good trainer mixes encouragement with areas to improve. Some here need to try that.

Some here need to understand that not all forum members are here to blow smoke up peoples arses - lighten up  8)
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Casbar wrote:
Some here need to understand that not all forum members are here to blow smoke up peoples arses - lighten up  8)
Temper temper.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Back2TheBike wrote: Temper temper.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Lol, perfectly calm  :whistle:
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Agree Casbar, needs a bit of self reflection on these highly contentious issues. In order to add clarification about where, when and how they are used have a look at the attached from page 105.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ter-03.pdf

Still it does shed some light on being able to go from 30 to 60 at a single point in time and space and vice versa. Now practising it and haven't quite got there yet and the bike is very unhappy about it!

thanks and regards, Ganesh
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ganesh wrote: Agree Casbar, needs a bit of self reflection on these highly contentious issues. In order to add clarification about where, when and how they are used have a look at the attached from page 105.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/223943/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-03.pdf

Still it does shed some light on being able to go from 30 to 60 at a single point in time and space and vice versa. Now practising it and haven't quite got there yet and the bike is very unhappy about it!

Have read page 105 and the subsequent pages, so do you take it that the sign for national speed limit can be placed x metres from the limit coming into force? If that is the case the sign is the earliest the limit changes not before it. it also states a 30mph sign should be placed at adjacent to a lamp post or where a 30 limit starts, but if placed further forward an order needs to be signed. But the sign still enforces the limit. I have spoken to a traffic colleague he told me that he would consider any infringement upto the national speed limit sign to be in breach of the signed limit. There is no grey area, but whether there would be a speed trap that close to a national speed limit is doubtful. But for arguments sake, if you crashed before the national speed limit sign and were deemed to be exceeding the 30, you would be prosecuted. The trouble with this stuff is, if there was ambiguity how would the law be enforced. Interesting topic though
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Typical piece of guidance that confuses rather than clarifies. There are enough ambiguities in it, that probably could challenge a citation depending on at what point on the road the limit is set, which might not be where the sign is as you noted!
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

On our way into town.
If we agree that on entering a built up area with a 30mph speed limit in force we should be travelling at 30 mph, good. So, 50 mtrs inside the speed limit there is a hand held speed camera we should not be prosecuted for speeding as our speed is correct.  ;)
On our way out of town.
Now put yourself on the other side of the road travelling in the opposite direction approaching the national speed limit sign but 50 mtrs short and not yet reached the sign yet, what speed should we be travelling at? 1
If, now the hand held speed camera has crossed the road, the speed camera is still in the final 50 mtrs of the 30mph limit, will we be prosecuted? 2
1 I think 30mph, and 2 I think yes.

Hoping NOT to upset anyone!!  bebe

Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
Oldbrook

Post by Oldbrook »

The indicated speed starts where the signs are.
2011 R1200RT Polar metalic
Humphrey1

Post by Humphrey1 »

I`ve watched most of your videos. The ride you did to Ludlow, as you left and rode to Leominster on the A49 as you ride through Ashton you pass the end of our Lane. If your passing again drop in and have a Cuppa.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Humphrey1 wrote:If your passing again drop in and have a Cuppa.
Unfortunately, B2TB is no longer active on the forum, viewtopic.php?t=0
Last edited by David. on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humphrey1

Post by Humphrey1 »

Thats a Pity, he seemed a Ok Guy in his Videos.