Long time, no post - a couple questions

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Methos1979

Long time, no post - a couple questions

Post by Methos1979 »

Hello friends,

It's been years since I've posted or even checked in. Too busy riding! Seriously though, the RT just doesn't need much so unlike with previous bikes where I've lived on the forums for that make/model, I quickly found that I didn't need to do as much here and it's been a few years since I've checked. Coming up on 4 years owning my 2016 RT and I'm convinced that it's the perfect bike for me. Like German engineers took me in a room, interviewed me, measured me head-to-toe, and then built the perfect bike for me!

It's not perfect but it's darn close. This is also the first bike I've owned in a long time that I didn't feel the need to add all kinds of things to. I did put on a Quiet Ride windshield, front fender extender, shorty antennae and a back rack bag that serves as a backrest for my co-pilot but other than that, nada. I do have a couple questions that I've wondered over the years that I didn't find much on forum searches so I thought I'd run them by the current crop of active users.

1.) The 'menu' switch gets awfully sticky in cooler or damp weather. Anyone else experience this? Any fix other than replacing? I did find one post on a search with a couple people recommending WD-40 or silicone spray but I'm a little nervous about spraying stuff like that into an electronic switch area and causing more problems.
2.) Anyone using Illium risers? If there is one ergonomic thing I'd change it would be the ability to raise the handlebars just a touch. I find that if I sit up very straight my back and shoulders are at a great angle. This puts my hands about 2" up and back. The Illium risers only raise 1 5/8" so just a little short. Not sure it's worth the effort. FWIW, I'm around 5'7", 220.
3.) For the life of me I can't get a consistent shift assist from 1-2 and 2-3. Sometimes I hit it, sometimes not. It's weird. Lower RPMs seem to be the key but even then it's hit or miss. I wonder if there has been any updates for better shifting. I do most of my own maintenance so only get the 'Needs Service' light cleared once every few years when it needs tires.

Other than that, nothing I can think of. I love the bike and don't play on upgrading anytime soon, if ever. This could be my last bike. But you never know. If the Germans ever break out of their awful mono-chromatic color schemes and offer some exciting colors or some really cool options that address some of the few shortcomings then maybe, just maybe. Until then, whenever I start to doubt my love for the bike I just ride my son's HD Street Bob for a half hour and then switch back and I'm back to loving the heck out of it!
NLC

Re: Long time, no post - a couple questions

Post by NLC »

I've only had my 2016 RT for 1 month but quick shifting up from 2-3 has never felt good. The bike was in for service today and they have replaced the gear shift actuator. If I notice a change I'll report back. Likewise I am enjoying mine and looking forward to my Scotland trip in a couple of weeks.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

I get the best shifting when I go completely by 'feel' of the bike. And then I start to get a little consistency so then I try to 'quantify' it by watching the RPM's and immediately go back to clunky shifts. From 3-4 and on up is so smooth almost always. Is this feature still available on the newer 1250 models? Is it any better across the spectrum?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Been using silicon spray on the switches for years no issues. Just an aside, do not use WD40 on any locks, ignition etc, use graphite spray.
oddshapedballs

Post by oddshapedballs »

+1 been doing the same for ever; WD-40 or GT-85 fine to use on all switches. Also OK on locks and ignition barrel but you need to do it regularly because it strips out the heavier grease in the barrel and on the lock wafers.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Methos1979 wrote: 3.) For the life of me I can't get a consistent shift assist from 1-2 and 2-3. Sometimes I hit it, sometimes not. It's weird. Lower RPMs seem to be the key but even then it's hit or miss. I wonder if there has been any updates for better shifting. I do most of my own maintenance so only get the 'Needs Service' light cleared once every few years when it needs tires.

Shift assist is only really there for when you are riding the bike aggressively. Wide open throttle for up changes and fully closed throttle for down changes.
Is this how you are using it?
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

bandytales wrote:
Shift assist is only really there for when you are riding the bike aggressively. Wide open throttle for up changes and fully closed throttle for down changes.
Is this how you are using it?

No, definitely not. Well, certainly fully close throttle for down shifting but I rarely use wide open throttle. I have found recently that shift assist in the lower gears works better with steady throttle when the bike is not pulling under load. I've also notice over the years that shift assist in the low gears is relatively smooth when the engine is still cool as in when you first start riding or if you're riding in cool weather. Once the engine gets really warm it gets less smooth.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

kioolt wrote:Not true, it will downshift just fine without closing the throttle.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Methos1979 wrote:
No, definitely not. Well, certainly fully close throttle for down shifting but I rarely use wide open throttle. I have found recently that shift assist in the lower gears works better with steady throttle when the bike is not pulling under load. I've also notice over the years that shift assist in the low gears is relatively smooth when the engine is still cool as in when you first start riding or if you're riding in cool weather. Once the engine gets really warm it gets less smooth.

I recommend using the clutch as normal unless accelerating hard or decelerating with a closed throttle. In those conditions it is a lovely system.
Anyhow, from the manual, this is the picture it paints...
From the rider manual:

[size=2px]When riding at a steady speed[/size]
[size=2px]in a low gear at high engine[/size]
[size=2px]rpm, an attempt to shift gear[/size]
[size=2px]without pulling the clutch can[/size]
[size=2px]cause a severe load-change[/size]
[size=2px]reaction. BMW Motorrad recommends[/size]
[size=2px]disengaging the[/size]
[size=2px]clutch for shifts in these circumstances.[/size]
[size=2px]It is advisable to[/size]
[size=2px]avoid using the shift assistant[/size]
[size=2px]at engine speeds close to the[/size]