BMW advising exhaust valve sticking needing new headers at £1200+

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Iain W

BMW advising exhaust valve sticking needing new headers at £1200+

Post by Iain W »

Hi everybody I'm a newbie posting on the site for the first time. Yesterday I went to the BMW agent for a 33K service. In addition to the expected disc replacement etc they claimed that a valve in the exhaust is sticking which needs the valve and Headers? replacing at a cost of around £1200. A bit of a shock until you read its a known fault on the web. Unofficially they advised the the valve can be disconnected using the software or a aftermarket fix is available. As you can imagine they were less than forthcoming where any of these services can be found. Does anyone here know of a Southern England company who does the software change or where an aftermarket solution can be bought?

Thanks,  Iain
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW advising exhaust valve sticking needing new headers at £1200+

Post by MikeS »

Don't know if it's possible to set the valve in the open position, disconnect the motor and use one of these:

[size=1px]https://youtu.be/FpJ-6zpuWN0[/size]
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Do a search, but here again for the umpteenth time :) The valve always sticks in the open position, when it closes, it closes against the spring, so it springs open again automatically. It is only for noise, it does not impact the bike at all if stuck open, it does not control emissions or provide back pressure. Disconnecting the cables from the servo, will not stop the ecu showing an error code. The only way to fool the ecu is to disconnect the servo and fit an electronic plug in device called a servo buddy (do a search on the net). Now the good news is, only a couple of weeks ago I managed to free a seized flap on a 2015 RT where the flap was seized for over 2 years. So you can leave it stuck open or attempt to free it. The thing about it being stuck is, the dealer will know if its plugged into the computer and most know about the flap, so if stuck and your trying to sell the bike, I would negotiate against this fault.

To free it, take off the silencer, remove the exhaust cover and the cap covering the top of the flap. Under that cover, you will see the flap mechanism (a large cylinder with a spring and two cables attached). Disconnect the cables and then soak the top of the mechanism in something like WD40 anti seize as well as the top and bottom of the spindle in the exhaust headers (easily reached when silencer is off). Then I put a set of mole grips on the top and started to wiggle it free. It will take a bit of time, but once its free, you should be able to spin it closed and allow it to return under the spring pressure. Then if your lucky and its released, all good. Although I also coated the spindle inside with high temp grease. Then I would grease it every six months or so. Or just ignore it and leave it stuck open :) On my 2014 I had two sets of headers courtesy of BMW and a stuck flap. The bad news is it's the same on the 1250s, except Mr BMW has now enabled the engine waring light if the flap is stuck, so you have to do something about it :) The fault code can be cancelled if you fit a servo buddy with a GS911.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have a look at Healtech, https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/ese/ or Servo Buddy, https://www.speedycom.co.uk/servo-buddy/ for exhaust servo eliminators.

BDS are the UK Healtech distributor, http://www.bikersdiscountstore.co.uk/
Last edited by David. on Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain W

Post by Iain W »

Guys,  This is brilliant, I'm inspired to dismantle the valve and try to repair and if not successful to buy one of the aftermarket devices. Thanks very much this is exactly what I needed.

Iainbe
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Iain W wrote:I'm inspired to dismantle the valve and try to repair.
You can't beat a nice little video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtcUZn_T6Oc
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Iain W wrote: Guys,  This is brilliant, I'm inspired to dismantle the valve and try to repair and if not successful to buy one of the aftermarket devices. Thanks very much this is exactly what I needed.

Iainbe
s,

Just remember it turns inwards to close, not outwards, ie to close it swings towards the bike, not as a mate of mine was trying to make it go the other way :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The valve moves through 90 deg. and has physical stops on it, clockwise to close, anti-clockwise to open.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k900r

Post by k900r »

David. wrote: You can't beat a nice little video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtcUZn_T6Oc
David, you’re a superstar! I too had been told by my dealer about my sticking valve on a 2014RT and wanted a fortune to replace it. I’m going to have a go this week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Iain W wrote:...they claimed that a valve in the exhaust is sticking which needs the valve and Headers?

I have just freed mine up, see:
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/185971-wethead-exhaust-valve-seized.html

It took time but worked like a charm.

As an aside, they normally seize in the open position (really easy to check), if it is open, I wouldn't worry about the issue. The bike doesn't fault, and in terms of noise and performance and fuel economy, I honestly cant tell the difference between last week when it was seized open and now, when it is working as designed.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
I have just freed mine up, see:
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/185971-wethead-exhaust-valve-seized.html

It took time but worked like a charm.

As an aside, they normally seize in the open position (really easy to check),if it is open, I wouldn't worry about the issue. The bike doesn't fault, and in terms of noise and performance and fuel economy, I honestly cant tell the difference between last week when it was seized open and now, when it is working as designed.

What does the bike doesn't fault mean then? If the flap is stuck it throws a fault code on the ECU. If its a 1250 and its stuck the engine fault light comes on.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Many owners have reported that when their bike is plugged into diagnostic equipment, be that BMW or GS-911, fault codes are shown in the ECU memory.

It would appear that, on 1200's no warning lights are shown on the dash, hence riding around not being aware of the seized exhaust flap.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With the 1250's, it looks like the "Emissions warning" is the one associated with the exhaust flap.

This would seem to be a feature of bikes for the EU market. Does this mean that the exhaust flap, is indeed there to control emissions.

"The engine control unit has diagnosed a fault which affects the pollutant emissions."

Unless an exhaust servo eliminator can be used to clear the warning light, BMW have got you over a barrel to purchase new headers.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

https://www.partinfo.co.uk/articles/28

Removing the exhaust flap could be similar to removing the DPF in a car.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: With the 1250's, it looks like the "Emissions warning" is the one associated with the exhaust flap.

This would seem to be a feature of bikes for the EU market. Does this mean that the exhaust flap, is indeed there to control emissions.

"The engine control unit has diagnosed a fault which affects the pollutant emissions."

Unless an exhaust servo eliminator can be used to clear the warning light, BMW have got you over a barrel to purchase new headers.

No.. It's there to keep the bike's noise output inline with EU noise regulations. The catalytic converter, the use of 2 spark plugs per cylinder and O2 sensors in the headers are there to control emissions.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)