Radio turns itself off...

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Mac77

Radio turns itself off...

Post by Mac77 »

hi all, my radio has just started turning itself off and won't turn back on? Once I turn the ignition off and turn it back on, the radio comes back on straight away and is fine. The manual has no trouble shooting guide? Anyone have an idea why it's doing this and how to stop it?
Bobra

Re: Radio turns itself off...

Post by Bobra »

Hi all - This 2 year old post describes my problem exactly on my recently acquired 2008 R1200RT.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Rob
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

I know this is a very old question but there might be newer owners with this problem. The CD/radio in the <2010 RT's had an over-heat shut down function that would shut it off if it got too hot. There is a fan inside the radio box (it only recirculates air as there's no vents or outlets). You can hear the fan as soon as you turn the radio on. Maybe it has failed?
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
Bobra

Post by Bobra »

I've only just seen this response thanks Gadgetgaz - I'll check out the fan but, if I turn the ignition off and on, the radio comes back on and stays on!&nbsp; Buggered if I can work it out.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Could it be the battery is low and like so many vehicles it looks at things to shutdown to save voltage.
Bobra

Post by Bobra »

Beagle wrote: Could it be the battery is low and like so many vehicles it looks at things to shutdown to save voltage.

Yes - that's crossed my mind too.&nbsp; In fact, the manual specifically says it has a low voltage cut out but - why would it work when you turn off/on the ignition?&nbsp; I don't know how old the battery is but it seems to work ok for everything else.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

You could try connecting a trickle charger then try it again after 24hrs to see if it shuts down
Bobra

Post by Bobra »

👍