BMW advising exhaust valve sticking needing new headers at £1200+

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Old-Git

Re: BMW advising exhaust valve sticking needing new headers at £1200+

Post by Old-Git »

If your bike is out of warranty then blackwidow decat headers and a healtech flap eliminator is a cheaper way to go.... ;)
Toaster
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

I had this issue with a 2014 R1200RT. To free the valve was easy; to keep it free was the issue as within a day or two it would be stuck again. I eventually removed the cables (to avoid damaging the servo motor). Cheers David
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

You could try this. I got some as it withstands up to 1100 degrees c. Dont let get to the cat though.

https://www.bearings-online.co.uk/item/2714/ROCOL/ROCOL-14015-Anti-Seize-Spray.html
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Ok chaps have been reading this thread over the last few days ,from all the information am i right in saying that you would not know if the valve is stuck unless you are told by a computer check at BMW ?  or obviously inspecting it yourself .  Cheers
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

simbo wrote:
No.. It's there to keep the bike's noise output inline with EU noise regulations. The catalytic converter, the use of 2 spark plugs per cylinder and O2 sensors in the headers are there to control emissions.

This conflicts with with BMW’s approval of the Akrapovic silencer which does increase noise.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote:
This conflicts with with BMW’s approval of the Akrapovic silencer which does increase noise.

Not really, both the standard and the Akrapovic are type approved, so the bike with either on, still conforms to EU noise regs. I have an Akra and its not that more noisy on tick over and low revs, just sounds deeper and when you are moving the flap is fully open anyway and again, the Akra just sounds different. So I see no conflict with the BMW approval of the Akra.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Mine has a significantly louder rasp when accelerating hard. I believe the valve is there to increase cat/exhaust temp. and aid emmissions.
Last edited by Beagle on Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: Mine has a significantly louder rasp when accelerating hard. I believe the valve is there to increase cat/exhaust temp. and aid emmissions.

You believe what you want. Why don't you just ask the BMW techs or the masses on information on the internet, this is all rubbish about emissions. It's there to help with noise when on start up and pooling through town. Bored now, so carry on spreading theories.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Pram and toys come to mind.  :alas:
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: Pram and toys come to mind.  :alas:

Not at all, but to reply to your cat theory as well, if you fit the Akra full headers, there is no cat, but still a flap. I just can't understand why people talk rubbish about things they know nothing about, then others read it and believe it. But that is the way of a forum, loads of keyboard experts.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Now the rattles gone as well.  :alas:
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Once the RT (any bike) has passed the EU's sound and emissions restrictions/regulations BMW couldn't give a toss how loud 'you' make your bike. The fact they can earn a few quid more by 'approving' something aftermarket has nothing to do with it.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:
You believe what you want. Why don't you just ask the BMW techs or the masses on information on the internet, this is all rubbish about emissions. It's there to help with noise when on start up and pooling through town. Bored now, so carry on spreading theories.

I did,

Good afternoon Graham[/font]
[/font]
Thanks for your email about the Exhaust Valve. I’m happy to hear that you are delighted about the motorbike.  [/font]
[/font]
I’ve spoken to Bowker Motorrad, they advised that the exhaust valve only opens once every 30 times you turn on the ignition.  It is mainly for aiding with exhaust emissions.[/font][/font]
[/font]
I hope this is helpful, if you need any further help – please get back in touch.[/font]
[/font]
Kind regards[/font]
[/font]
Denise[/font]
[/font]
Thank you for sending your query to BMW you may be selected to participate in a short survey about how I handled your query. I’d be grateful if you could take a moment to complete this. You can opt out of this at any time using the opt-out link within your survey invitation.[/font][/font]
[/font]
BMW Group
United Kingdom

Denise Sheridan[/font][/font][/font]
BMW Customer Support Executive[/font]
Summit ONE[/font]
Summit Avenue, Farnborough[/font]
Hampshire, GU14 0FB[/font]
Tel: +44 (0)800 3256 000[/font][/font][/font]
Mail to: [email protected][/font][/color][/font][/size][/font]
URL: https://discover.bmw.co.uk/help/[/font][/size][/font]

“. I just can't understand why people talk rubbish about things they know nothing about, then others read it and believe it. But that is the way of a forum, loads of keyboard experts.”
Last edited by Beagle on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Beagle wrote:I’ve spoken to Bowker Motorrad, they advised that the exhaust valve only opens once every 30 times you turn on the ignition.
With the ignition off, the exhaust valve is fully open. Every time the ignition is switched on, the valve cycles to fully closed and back to full open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RotyfH_wBLY

I spoke to Hilltop Motorcycles yesterday, the valve is there to create back pressure at low RPM.

The cat. is there for dealing with emissions and the silencer for noise.

Bikes fitted with Akra's, are noisier than those without, whilst both having standard headers with a cat. & flap.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Mine moves every time ignition on. Must be broken!!!!!!!!!!!