Aarrgh, not another burned out headlight

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
RT Slim

Aarrgh, not another burned out headlight

Post by RT Slim »

That makes three burned out bulbs in 49k miles. And once again it happened in the middle of a trip. Now I get the pleasure of seeing the lit up yellow warning triangle and hieroglyph on the dash for the duration.
Last edited by RT Slim on Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Aarrgh, not another burned out headlight

Post by jackronner »

Make sure you have a lot of bandaids (plasters) for the cuts on your hands replacing them. 
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I've not done 49K on my bike:-( but on my K1300S I used night breaker +150 (whatever they are called:-)) and would get one go every 10-15k I think just due to the vibration - not so bad really...  The good thing on the K1300S is if the dip beam went you could swap one of the two high beam bulbs across short term on a trip!  Peter
Rod

Post by Rod »

jackronner wrote: Make sure you have a lot of bandaids (plasters) for the cuts on your hands replacing them.
Or for sticking over the warning light until you get home :)
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

RT Slim wrote: That makes three burned out bulbs in 49k miles. And once again it happened in the middle of a trip. Now I get the pleasure of seeing the lit up yellow warning trialgle and hieroglyph on the dash for the duration.
I fitted LED bulbs to my both 2015 & 2018 WC R1200RTs and when I got my 2020 R1250RT I upgraded to more "radio friendly" LEDs. I have to say better lighting and an expected longer life make this a worthwhile mod in my mind. Worth a thought perhaps?
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Changing one on the twin cam was a real pain, but a doddle on the LC !
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

TJRLWhat make of LED bulbs did you go for and what was the light patern like? Any problems with the MOT having them fitted?
CheersGordie
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Gogs11uk wrote: TJRL What make of LED bulbs did you go for and what was the light patern like? Any problems with the MOT having them fitted?
CheersGordie
They are Cyclops bulbs which you can get from Sportouring:-

https://www.sportouring.co.uk/shop/electronics-gadgets/lighting-power-solutions/bulbs/cyclops_led/bmw-r1200rt-r1250rt-led-headlight-bulb-kit-lc-models/

I sold my bikes before they needed an MoT but the BMW dealership never batted an eye at them during servicing. Light pattern seems just like the EOM bulbs.

NB they are a real pain to fit and I have found that the best way is to remove the whole headlight assembly from the bike! Not too hard just takes most of day to remove the headlight assembly install the LED bulbs and then reinstall the headlight assembly.

I still have the original set from my 2018RT so if you do not have the bmw radio system fitted you are welcome to try them.

2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I fitted 3 Cyclops units to my 2009 RT; Once the 2 side panels were off I found the access a lot easier when I took off the wing mirrors and dash surround (8 screws). This gave me enough room to get all 3 units in without ripping myself to bits (I have fairly large hands).
It is very important to fit the discs seperately from the lamps, then put the lamps in. If you dont do this or are not aware of it then you will have a long day.
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

This is just my personal experience, not a scientific fact!, but in the past when I have experienced a few blown bulbs, the battery has been on its last legs. I conjecture that the battery acts as a 'reservoir' or capacitor for ultra-brief voltage peaks and troughs. As a battery deteriorates, I think its ability to absorb the peaks reduces and you get blown bulbs.

If this is a 'red herring', apologies!
DW
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

TJRL wrote: They are Cyclops bulbs which you can get from Sportouring:-

https://www.sportouring.co.uk/shop/electronics-gadgets/lighting-power-solutions/bulbs/cyclops_led/bmw-r1200rt-r1250rt-led-headlight-bulb-kit-lc-models/

I sold my bikes before they needed an MoT but the BMW dealership never batted an eye at them during servicing. Light pattern seems just like the EOM bulbs.

NB they are a real pain to fit and I have found that the best way is to remove the whole headlight assembly from the bike! Not too hard just takes most of day to remove the headlight assembly install the LED bulbs and then reinstall the headlight assembly.

I still have the original set from my 2018RT so if you do not have the bmw radio system fitted you are welcome to try them.
Cheers bud. I'm running an 09 so think the headlight setup is different but thanks for the info.Gordie
RT Slim

Post by RT Slim »

Dee Dub wrote: This is just my personal experience, not a scientific fact!, but in the past when I have experienced a few blown bulbs, the battery has been on its last legs. I conjecture that the battery acts as a 'reservoir' or capacitor for ultra-brief voltage peaks and troughs. As a battery deteriorates, I think its ability to absorb the peaks reduces and you get blown bulbs.

If this is a 'red herring', apologies!

Actually I would tend to agree with your premise about the battery being somewhat responsible. Another possible indicator of a battery going bad I've noticed is the windshield height setting is lost which has happened a couple of times recently.