Love my BMW low-seat

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Love my BMW low-seat

Post by jackronner »

Got a lightly-used one for $200 (he said he bought it new for $450).  Boy, does it make a difference when backing into a parking slot.  I'd already taken out all the height adjustment works to lower my old seat a bit, but still couldn't reliably flat-foot it.  So much surer and relaxed now.  I recommend it to those who are inseam-challenged.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Love my BMW low-seat

Post by scunny12 »

I too am short in the leg and felt like I was always on my tip toes, so also bought the BMW low seat. There is little padding in it and whilst it inspires confidence for footing when coming to a stop, it is not the most comfortable. After 60-70 miles, my rear is protesting and I am squirming about trying to get more comfy.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Scunny,  I haven't taken a long butt-tester ride yet.  I am not amongst those who feel the standard seat isn't comfortable enough fo the long haul.  10k miles two summers ago wasn't a butt problem.  I do have a gel seat from Gelco https://gelcoproducts.com/ that I could add on long days.  It's maybe a foot wide, with a recessed well where your tailbone fits nicely.  I attach it to the bike with a bit of flat web strapping, threading it under the pad and over the handy carrying handled in the folding middle.  Works a treat, and you can just slide it forward when you want the lower position for parking maneuvers, etc.  Such slow-speed, reversing situations are even more tense when the bike is loaded down for a long trip or with a pillion rider, making the low seat that much more useful, though.  I'll let you know what my butt's opinion is after a long ride.  I'm used to talking out of my arse!
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Hi same as jackrunner , as soon as my butt starts to ache , i pull over and put on my gel pad , it justs locks under the seat with a plastic clip , great thing to have if you suffer from sore butt !!!!! 
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

jackronner wrote: Boy, does it make a difference when backing into a parking slot.

I've heard people say that before and have never really got it, I'm only 5' 5" and have no wish to flat foot it as that makes my knees too bent when riding. When I have to reverse the bike into a parking spot I have a very simple solution: I get off! You are getting off anyway when you've parked so why not get off three seconds earlier when you can have far more control over the bike and better vision.