New Headset Communication System

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Toes

New Headset Communication System

Post by Toes »

After traveling some 40+ years with my brother in law with neither of us able to communicate with one another, other than by pointing to the gas tank or a roadside sign were thinking that maybe we need to jump into the 21st century.  Although our hand sign tech has worked well over the years I think it's probably time if not now, when?  I have the BMW communicator hooked up to the bike, navigator 4 and phone but as of late for some reason  I cannot make a phone call.  Every time I try I get a prompt to connect to a head set which I have done, somehow doesn't recognize it, I did get a new I-phone but have followed the pairing the way I always have(I think) I'm using a BMWNav 4..  I decided to order the Nav6 just because, I ain't getting any younger and who knows what BMW might do next and when..  My question has to do with which headset between the Sena 50 and the Cardo Pack talk would be the best headset to sink additional money into to pair with the bike , the Nav6, I-phone and talk to my brother in law.  Do any of them let you use the "wonder wheel" for volume.  Most of the time I'm solo when not on a distance trip.  Appreciate any thoughts those with these systems might have, thanks.
Toes

Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Re: New Headset Communication System

Post by Boxflyer »

PM sent
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

My vote is the Cardo as it just works and once connected each time you switch back on it easily finds the phone Sat Nav and your mates  :)

tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

austin1964 wrote: My vote is the Cardo as it just works and once connected each time you switch back on it easily finds the phone Sat Nav and your mates  :)

ditto above
Toes

Post by Toes »

Thanks all, besides the new Nav6 there will be a Cardo system quite possibly a new helmet to put it in.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Have Nav6 with Cardo. Can't find a fault with it. Just works. No hassle at all. no matter if I'm riding alone or with my wife. every time connect just after power up.

Can't say that about Interphone I had before.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Have interphone sport and works well for me and pillion not tried rider to rider but found range when pillion walks off good.
Wierd process to listen to music from card in nav. IP67 waterproof and long battery life can charge on go as well.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Got an interphone active, bought a twin pack and split the cost with a mate. Works well on the line of sight principal but can struggle otherwise.
My main criticism is the thickness of the microphone which is a bit irritating in my full face shoei. The one in my previous Sena was a lot slimmer.

BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

[quote author=MikeS link=topic=5273

My main criticism is the thickness of the microphone which is a bit irritating in my full face shoei. The one in my previous Sena was a lot slimmer.

Hi Mike, can get diffrent mike if want.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Thanks Darren, were do I get one from?  Does  they have the same connections or do they have to be adapted?

Mike
Last edited by MikeS on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Hmmm I looked on interphone website and got upgraded headphone  set specific to helmet came with solid mike as opposed to flexible one. I was after headphone and stayed with flexible mike. Be aware found connections diffrent original set were round newer set were blocks. Ordered from bike shop kent way but cant remember who.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

I would recommend the Cardo Packtalk Bold. This is after experience with 4 different models of Sena communicators, not that I personally had significant issues with my Sena products except for when I was in groups of 3 or more trying to use the group intercom. When Cardo went with their MESH network our group switched to Cardo and they just worked. Besides the group communications, the natural voice commands work great and virtually eliminate the need to touch the unit except to turn on and off. Plus, the units are waterproof, Sena is not, although many say they have never had a problem.
It seems Sena is catching up with the new 50 series, but previously the 30K was supposed to be the competition to the Cardo, but it seems there were many issues. And if Sena is catching up, it is something that has been working and working well with Cardo for at least a year or more and I'd bet they will jump ahead with some new system before Sena does and even the 50 series is yet unproven over time.
The bottom line can also be what you need it for and if you use it for riding with groups of riders, and in this case, it might depend on what all your buddies are using as Sena and Cardo just don't work seamlessly well together like Cardo to Cardo or Sena to Sena.
Plenty of YouTube reviews and Web reviews out there and although the 50 series is better, most will still say the Cardo is a superior system even as an older model.