IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Paggers

IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Paggers »

...passed last night, achieving a First!

:happy fourth:

Really chuffed - as you might be able to tell.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Gman1969

Re: IAM RoadSmart advanced motorcycling test...

Post by Gman1969 »

well done ! :)
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Congtrats :-)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Well done!  :)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Well done. I did my IAM and ROSPA test on the same day two years ago. Only needed one for blood biking but wanted to see if there were any differences in the test - my conclusion, not really :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"A RoSPA gold is the highest civilian riding standard available and the holder will be a master of his or her art."
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: "A RoSPA gold is the highest civilian riding standard available and the holder will be a master of his or her art."

Still found no difference in the tests :)  And to add out of the two organisations, I find the IAM the better one to belong to, probably because they are a larger organisation, magazine is better, more discounts. So much so, when I'm up for retest, I might just do our in house assessment and stick with IAM rather than do my ROSPA test again.
Last edited by Casbar on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Nice one Paggers!  Well done.  I did mine a good few years back.  I'd been riding since I was 12 with only one really bad crash at 16.  I wasn't sure whether I'd just been lucky, so decided to find out.  Learned a lot, and still learning each time I ride.

Be safe, have fun!!!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: Nice one Paggers!  Well done.  I did mine a good few years back.  I'd been riding since I was 12 with only one really bad crash at 16.  I wasn't sure whether I'd just been lucky, so decided to find out.  Learned a lot, and still learning each time I ride.

Be safe, have fun!!!

That is a big difference between IAM and ROSPA, IAM is for life, although they are trying to persuade IAM members to get re-assessed every 3 years, whereas ROSPA is re-tested every 3 years. In our blood bike group we compulsory re-assess IAM holders every 3 years, after a period even riders that are advanced trained will probably not be riding to an advanced standard.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Congrats. You have pushed me one stage closer to trying it myself.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks folks.
David. wrote: "A RoSPA gold is the highest civilian riding standard available and the holder will be a master of his or her art."
It will come as no surprise to hear that IAM RoadSmart also suggest that their Masters qualification is "...the highest civilian riding standard available...".  :be happy: As I understand it both processes are based on the Police Riders' Handbook so I would be surprised if there was a massive difference between them. IAM Masters also has to be re-certified periodically; not sure what the frequency is though. I also think the IAM Advanced should have an expiry date - I have ridden with people who assure me they are 'advanced' riders, having passed the IAM advanced test many years before, but whose day-to-day riding fell well short of the standard.

It was fascinating to talk with my examiner after the ride. According to his LinkedIn profile he is/was (not sure if he has retired or is still active) Lead Motorcycle Trainer for Greater Manchester Police. A very knowledgeable guy with strong opinions about some of the stuff being taught by both IAM and RoSPA.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

IAM are trying to move to a regular re assessment the same as ROSPA. But there are loads of IAM members that have passed tested years ago, who are reluctant to have a re assessment, because if they fail, they are out.

You wouldn't believe the difficulty we have with getting  IAM members that have passed their test years ago to re assess every three years.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Was speaking recently to someone who is both an IAM & RoSPA member. His 3 yearly RoSPA test is due for renewal to maintain his membership.

Unlike the IAM where a re-test is not necessary to maintain membership. It's does exactly what it says on the tin, "A Skill for Life".

The IAM have introduced a "voluntary" re-test, the result of which will not affect your IAM membership.

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses/me ... assessment

I do struggle to comprehend that, at 17, you can pass your IAM test & at 70+, you can still be an IAM "Green Badge" holder without any check ride or test.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

there are several different test schedules within the IAM

Fellow  every three years
Masters  every 5 years
National observer every 5 years
Local observer assessor every 3 years

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With the IAM (unlike RoSPA),  there is no mandatory re-test required to maintain membership & demonstrate that skills are being upheld.