Rear bulb failure warning light flashing.

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Me Ol Badger

Rear bulb failure warning light flashing.

Post by Me Ol Badger »

Hello,

I periodically have a warning light flashing on and off, whilst riding, telling me a rear bulb has gone, but this only last a split second.

What happens: a yellow strip light with a warning light for a rear bulb flashes on and off whilst riding and has only stayed on once when I was having trouble starting the bike after stopping to let some horses pass. Since then I periodically get the aforementioned fault.

I have checked for lose wiring and tried to replicate the fault by accessing the connection to the rear light but to no avail. I have it booked in under warranty in a couple weeks time and they suggested that the bike may need a software update and odd faults like this could be an indication that an update is needed.

Questions:
1. has anyone experienced this type of fault?
2. does it sound right what they said about a software update?

Thanks for any help.

Dean
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear bulb failure warning light flashing.

Post by simbo »

Try cleaning the bulb connections and putting a smear of dielectric grease on them, might just be furred up a bit causing a poor connection.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear bulb failure warning light flashing.

Post by David. »

Can the bulbs in an LED Taillight Cluster be removed & replaced or is it a complete new unit for around £300.

Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.