Navigator vi

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Beagle

Navigator vi

Post by Beagle »

My Navigator VI fell out of the mounting,  wasn't quite seated, and the screen hit the handlebar at around the centre putting a mark on it. Couldn't live with it and looked on the net for a replacement screen but couldn't find a new supplier. I rang Garmin and they said they could exchange it for a refurbished one for £140 so have ordered it. Better than buying a new one and as cheap as sourcing and fitting a new screen myself
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: Navigator vi

Post by MikeS »

I've done it a couple of times but managed to catch it before any damage caused.
I'm now overly cautious and listen for the "click" of the lock before I assume it's seated.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Ordered  screen protectors from Nippys for future. Thought Garmin was pretty good and reasonable.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

On my bike there are red marks on the locking pins that you can see between the top of the GPS and the surround if it is not fully home.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

PeteM wrote: On my bike there are red marks on the locking pins that you can see between the top of the GPS and the surround if it is not fully home.
Yes they were down but the bottom lug wasnt in.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having a sat. nav. which looks nicely integrated into the dash is fine until it falls off.

Much prefer the arrangement where once fitted into the cradle, you can grab hold of the sat. nav. to ensure it's mounted correctly.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Worth it to have it in the dash and all the Integration advantages. Found the other day when ignition is on but engine not running the Nav tells me the abs And tpm have not completed the test cycle. ( because engine not running.) Great piece of kit.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With the ignition switch on, the pre-ride check is performed. ABS self-diagnosis is performed. Press starter button, the engine starts.

Tyre pressures are checked prior to each ride.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Yes I know. I was pointing out the integration of the nav vi to the bike.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

The nav VI gives far more information than just being a satnav. Wouldn't go back to the old days and having a old satnav mounted somewhere, but I suppose, if you've never had the modern kit you don't miss it.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

michaelc2710 wrote: The nav VI gives far more information than just being a satnav. Wouldn't go back to the old days and having a old satnav mounted somewhere, but I suppose, if you've never had the modern kit you don't miss it.

Well said sir.  :clap:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Beagle wrote: My Navigator VI fell out of the mounting,  wasn't quite seated, and the screen hit the handlebar at around the centre putting a mark on it. Couldn't live with it and looked on the net for a replacement screen but couldn't find a new supplier. I rang Garmin and they said they could exchange it for a refurbished one for £140 so have ordered it. Better than buying a new one and as cheap as sourcing and fitting a new screen myself

Got a refurbished Nav Vi from Garmin yesterday and when I look at it it is new. Not a mark on it and the terminals on the back have never been connected. Funnily when I connected it too Garmin Express for update it loaded North America and Southern Europe maps. Reconnected it and it loaded just Uk. Very pleased with Garmins service.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Fit the screen protector using the kit from Nippys and went well, cant tell there is another screen attached and screen is protected from previous type of damage. Happy days.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Beagle wrote:
Got a refurbished Nav Vi from Garmin yesterday and when I look at it it is new. Not a mark on it and the terminals on the back have never been connected. Funnily when I connected it too Garmin Express for update it loaded North America and Southern Europe maps. Reconnected it and it loaded just Uk. Very pleased with Garmins service.

I would make sure you have access to the whole of Europe in the near future as that should be included and if you leave it too long it may be a hassle
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Thanks Pete but my mistake has Eu found Poland, Finland, Portugal etc.

The picture is with the screen protector attached.
Attachments
889DBB5F-80C8-4FFD-93D4-390F160F5C32.jpeg