Face full of brake fluid!

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Beagle

Re: Face full of brake fluid!

Post by Beagle »

David. wrote: Is there any evidence of the reservoir being bonded (glued) to the control assembly.

Looks like the resorvoir clips to those red lugs and sealed with an O ring
3Pines

Post by 3Pines »

Replying to David.
Don't call me Shirley.I told you that it did not happen, but won't continue to belabor the point.
No glue residue.  The red tabs hold a male part in the mating female recess and pressurize the o-ring.  I believe.
Last edited by jwb on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

3Pines wrote:The red tabs hold a male part in the mating female recess and pressurize the o-ring.
If there is no damage, can the reservoir just be re-fitted.
3Pines

Post by 3Pines »

Ah! Perhaps I've left out details.
The reservoir actually smashed around the "cockpit" for several seconds before finally going "down the drain" past the triple tree.  It took me several seconds - maybe even 10 to figure out what big piece of the bike had broken.  It seemed like it was going to be a real catastrophe (crash!).  The bike continued on straight, don't misunderstand.  From the sounds, I feared something really big and important had fallen off.  I had to look several times before I could get the fact that it was the fluid reservoir.  I was not able to identify it before it disappeared, only after finally noticing the plate and the absence of the reservoir.  Remember, I had a face full of mineral oil.
I searched for an hour, but could not find the reservoir.  I suspect it bounced into the overgrown ditch.
You have inspired me, though.  I'M GOING BACK.  ;)
Last edited by jwb on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

If you do find it. If there is not a separate lid on the reservoir it may need to be filled inverted and then assembled
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Doesnt look like the right one
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Entering your BMW Serial Number (last 7 digits of your VIN) into the "Search" box will identify the correct parts, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

The right one is the handbrake assembly.

It's a bit worrying if the handbrake assembly is the same construction as the clutch.

Last edited by David. on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Pines

Post by 3Pines »

Thanks for the help, folks.
I spent another two hours searching the ditches and of course found nothing.  I suppose the reservior got hung up in the tupperware for a while before it made it to the road.  In other words, I may not have been searching the right spot.  So, no joy on the "find it and snap it back on" idea.
My local dealer continued to screw up, and I've divorced them.  They used to be great, but have hired some real peaches since the dealership changed hands.
I ordered the US$525. part from another dealer, and will attempt the repair myself.   

The smoked  glass "jiggly-mount" fluid reservoirs are a pretty stupid design.  I expected better from BMW.  Or, the previously mentioned geniuses broke it when they replaced my cruise control switch (two weeks before the incident).  This latter possibility seems quite likely based on how they behaved.