michelin road 50 puncture repair

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
paulgelineau

michelin road 50 puncture repair

Post by paulgelineau »

My rear tire, (Michelin Road 50) has a small sheet metal screw, (3/16" dia) in the middle of the tread.  It's leaking a bit.  Tread on the tire is still great and don't want to simply replace it cause it's mucho $$'s.
Thought about the plug type I've always used on cars, etc.
Thoughts??
Thanks.
P. Gelineau
Bike:
2015 R1200RT.
Jocke

Re: michelin road 50 puncture repair

Post by Jocke »

Hi

I have had similar small hole. Fixed tire with repair kit ” camel shit ”. It works fine.
( Something like this.)

https://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-50002L-Universal-Punctures-Motorcycles/dp/B002I52RG0
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Use above myself but should only be used to get to tyre fitter to get proper repair from inside tyre and check sidewall not damaged. Also should reduce speed till repair undertaken.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Only my personal viewpoint but I wouldn't trust a tyre until it had been professionally inspected. I carry a  "rats tail" repair kit with me (never had to use it) but I would only consider it a temporary repair to get me out of trouble.
If it's only got a slight leak can you not get it to the local garage/ tyre fitter to be sorted?
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Those repair kits are only "drive in" to the proper tyre repair place. However I heard that some people just plug it and use bikes like normal.
Personally I would not do that. RT is heavy bike, you have only two tyres pumped with a bit of pressure.
My new Z8 been punctured last year, bugger as it had 200 miles just about. Went to tyre repair shop. They inspect it, and patch from inside using heavy duty patch.
Still below half price of the new one (fitting and repair). Now 3500 miles later is still OK.
For peace of mind, do it properly.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Using the "Cat Sh1t" repair method will require making a hole in the tyre greater in diameter than the 3/16" screw, plus, damage more cords etc.

Repairs can be successfully completed by removing the tyre, inspecting it & patching from the inside with no further damage to the tyre itself.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Tyres should be vulcanised on the inside by tyre repairer after puncture
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Its the old saying get it done correctly , its too late when you are laid on the road for the sake of a few quid , be safe not sorry !!!!!
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

hammo wrote: Its the old saying get it done correctly , its too late when you are laid on the road for the sake of a few quid , be safe not sorry !!!!!

+1
paulgelineau

Post by paulgelineau »

Just a follow up regarding my tire puncture.
I plugged it with a repair kit and was able to put a few miles on.  All the way monitoring the pressure with the TPM and a hand held Gage.  Maintained pressure for the rides but I was aware of it's temp. condition. 
Had new Michelin Road 5 GT's installed this week and they are fine so far.  A bit stiffer side-wall compound makes the turns lively.  Will keep you all up to date regarding performance and longevity.
Now have to get the left mirror assembly replaced (see other post).  Always something!
Regards,
Paul G.