Looking at a 2011 R1200RT on Sunday. Some questions.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
westcoastkevin

Looking at a 2011 R1200RT on Sunday. Some questions.

Post by westcoastkevin »

Hello all,I am not quite an RT owner yet but I am looking at one on Sunday.

I have read a lot of topics on here, and on the internet generally. It still seems a good idea to ask some basic questions. The bike is a 2011 R1200 RT.
It has 9,183 miles  (14,693 km)
The seller is retiring, and is selling the bike.He told me it has "all the options" but that may not be true.
I got a few pictures. I will try to post them, possibly in a follow on message. You might see things or options that I do not know to look for.
Here is what I know.It looks spotless in the pictures, very clean.
It has ABS
It has all 3 luggage bags.
It has heated grips.
It has heated seat.
It has some upgraded lights but I forget the name of the upgrade from the phone call that we had.
There is a Garmin Zumo gps in the pictures that is coming with it (not sure the model, probably 4-5 years old, not sure)
He said it has satellite radio that he never used,

Here is what I do not know.
1. Is there a list of the available options that I can use as a checklist? I want to know what I am dealing with.
2. Are there any known expensive issues that I should be mindful of as an owner for the future?
3. Are there any specific questions I should be asking?
4. Are there any expensive special tools I will need to buy. (I do my own work on just about everything. I assume I can do that on this.)

My current bikes are Kawasaki and I do not know anything about these bikes.Any ideas for a value? Midwest USA.
Of course I want a good price but I do not want to offer a silly unreasonable low price.

Thank you in advance for any information,
Kevin
Let me just add that I am pretty excited to maybe joining this community. Just browsing through here tells me there is a depth of knowledge that is nice to see.
Attachments
IMG950299.jpg
IMG950298.jpg
IMG950295.jpg
IMG950296.jpg
Last edited by westcoastkevin on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Looking at a 2011 R1200RT on Sunday. Some questions.

Post by Boxflyer »

Deleted
Last edited by Boxflyer on Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Good reply from Boxflyer but I'll add a couple of minor points.

Tools wise you will probably need to get some Torx wrenches but these are cheap enough, also a GS911 (computer reader) can be handy but not necessary, apart from that the metric tools you use for the Kawasaki's will work fine.

If you test ride it give it time, they feel very different to mainstream bikes, the weight distribution is a lot lower so they can feel odd at first as can the front suspension but both are good once used to them.

If you buy it keep a close eye on the oil level as until they have done about 10-15k miles they do like a drink, they tend to settle down after that but the last thing you want is to suddenly need oil in the middle of a week long trip.

HTH
westcoastkevin

Post by westcoastkevin »

Thank you @BoxFlyer, and @PeteM for the thoughtful replies.
I know it takes time to write something like that, especially for someone who has not contributed anything here yet.
Recalls, I had completely forgotten about that.
I had no idea what the footpegs were so thanks for the education there.Thanks for the tip about the top box. I would never have guessed to ask that.Thanks for the tip about the oil level when new(ish).

I asked about:The top box.Whether the windshiels was OEM or something else.
Whether it has the original batteryAge/condition of (tires/tyres).Whether the seat was standard or low one.

Assuming I get it, I imagine I would change the oil(s) and final drive/fresh grease on the splines just to put that out of my mind for a while.Probably fresh brake fluid too, and maybe a set of tires depending on the condition/age/date code of them.
Thanks again.Kevin
westcoastkevin

Post by westcoastkevin »

Small update,I got these answers from the seller.
There were some recall items  that were fixed at the 5,000 mile service at a BMW dealer. I will dig out the paperwork. I do not know about any current recalls.

Hyper lights. I installed them on my 1986 Beemer also. They are small LEDs on the forks and draw minimal current. For viz not illumination.

The tires have less than 1,000 miles on them. I will dig out the paper work on age. 2 and 3 years is my guess.

The battery is about 6 weeks old. It is an Odyssey gel battery.

Top box is connected to the locking system.

Windshield is Clearview aftermarket made for BMWs with a Laminar lip. It is higher and shaped better than oem. I think I have the original but not 100% sure. The windshield is adjustable with a button. Can adjust on the fly. No baffling.

Regular seat and BMW comfort seat. Both heated.

No paper manual. I downloaded it from the Internet. I do not know what the code reader is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These look all the right answers to me.I am trying to reduce my excitement level.... easy does it.
Last edited by westcoastkevin on Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I’m a first time r1200rt owner myself. Mine is an ‘11 premium package that I bought in 2014 from a family friend with 10,780 miles on the odometer. I am the second owner and now have 23,700 miles on it. I came from the in-line 4 family and now that I think about it, it took me very little time to get used to it and be completely at home on it. I’m a convert 100%. Love everything about it except the rear shock which I’m getting ready to replace with an aftermarket one. I am now eyeing the new GS 1250 Probably next year. I have had zero issues mechanically with my rt and highly recommend them.
westcoastkevin

Post by westcoastkevin »

Well I bought it. I have put about 600 miles on it so far.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

westcoastkevin wrote: Well I bought it. I have put about 600 miles on it so far.

And.......... How is it.