Werks Quiet Ride vs OEM Windshield

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
evildoctor
Canada

Werks Quiet Ride vs OEM Windshield

Post by evildoctor »

I've been thinking about purchasing a Werks Quiet Ride windshield for my 2019 1250RT. The reviews are unanimously positive, most suggesting the Werks windshield is substantially better than the OEM windshield in terms of buffeting and wind resistance. My dilemma is this: I find the OEM screen not really that bad. Perhaps I don't know any better. I have researched the materials windshields are made of and evidently polycarbonate windshields are vastly superior to acrylic screens in terms of its ability to withstand breaking due to whatever stones, hard objects, etc. that are flung against it. Thus I'm wondering if I'd be nuts to replace my OEM polycarbonate screen with a product made of an inferior material? Am I making too big of a deal about polycarbonate vs acrylic?
Beagle

Re: Werks Quiet Ride vs OEM Windshield

Post by Beagle »

OEM screens have a coating on them to help protect them. I know because I badly scratched mine fitting a screen extension, tried to polish it out and the more I polished the more coating was removed till I had a large patch.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

As you say the OEM screen is not too bad - but the Werks Quiet Ride is much better (in my opinion anyway).  With the screen full down I get a smooth airflow over the helmet and a good flow through its vents.  Raising it a bit keeps bugs off the visor and raising it a bit more brings silence. If that screen gets too scratched or chipped then I can go back to the OE screen.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I bought a Werks screen for my 1200, it was on the bike for around 25k it is now on my 1250 and has been on since April 2019, its fine, no scratches. I currently am riding a 2015RTp with a standard screen and the difference is noticeable. Yesterday I did around 150 miles on my 1250 and came home, then went on duty and covered around 90 miles on the RTp, the standard screen isn't bad, but the Works is far superior. I only set the Werks screen once, fairly low and that's it, no need to adjust unless you want to put it all the way down.
Fosningen

Post by Fosningen »

Buy a quiet ride. You will never go back to the oem. ^-^
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

evildoctor wrote: I've been thinking about purchasing a Werks Quiet Ride windshield for my 2019 1250RT.

DO IT!

evildoctor wrote: The reviews are unanimously positive, most suggesting the Werks windshield is substantially better than the OEM windshield in terms of buffeting and wind resistance.
It is!

evildoctor wrote: I have researched the materials windshields are made of and evidently polycarbonate windshields are vastly superior to acrylic screens in terms of its ability to withstand breaking due to whatever stones, hard objects, etc. that are flung against it. Thus I'm wondering if I'd be nuts to replace my OEM polycarbonate screen with a product made of an inferior material? Am I making too big of a deal about polycarbonate vs acrylic?

You are looking for a problem which people talk about, but I feel is pretty anecdotal. How many people on all of the forums have complained because their windscreens shattered? We know things do happen because you see headlight lenses with holes and damage, but for the most part it is a solution for a problem that isn't there.
Last edited by bandytales on Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NMDan

Post by NMDan »

I love the Quiet ride on my '20 RT. It is smoother and quieter than stock in any position.  I wouldn't worry about the material. An impact powerful enough to break it would likely have other, more serious consequences.
Last edited by NMDan on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Dan
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I had the comfort screen but got fed up with the wind noise so researched and bought the Quiet Ride which has worked wonders.

I have the high seat and am 6’6” so need the frontal protection.

It does a good job,!
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

I found that most people who tour a lot agree the standard screen is poor , i researched myself and decided to fit a Z-Technik tour screen and oh boy what a difference i can cruise at motorway speed with my helmet screen open ,  all you hear is the buzz of the old flat opposed engine , but once again what is good for me might not suit someone else its all down to yourself good luck .
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

On the windy highway ride home the day I bought my bike the buffeting was so bad I got online and ordered the Werks Quiet Ride. Love it.
Avia8tur

Post by Avia8tur »

Anyone have recommendations for an ‘06? Just came home after 2600 mile, 6 day trip, on a recently purchased bike. Many miles on a previous R1200GS. My shoulders were buffeted at 75+ mph. I’d like to go slightly bigger than OEM.

Thanks in advance.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Dunno about Werks but i changed my OEM screen for a Z-Technik Tourer screen on my 2018 RTLE absolutely fantastic would recommend to anyone who tours a lot .
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I purchased a Werks Quiet ride for my 2016 RT and it is great. I had them on other bikes and couldn't wait to remove the stock shield. I have 45,000 miles on it now and wash it regularly and it still looks great. Do it now and enjoy.