no neutral

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
yellowjacket

no neutral

Post by yellowjacket »

I do a lot of riding on my 2016 1200RT but every once in a while hit the trails on my 2014 1200GS. I love both bikes and at age 72, I take every advantage to saddle up. Last weekend I ran into a problem with the GS. A few weeks ago after a nice ride I parked the GS in the garage. Yesterday I pulled it out, tried to crank it and could not find neutral. I tried everything using my foot and my hand and neutral is just gone. I pulled in the clutch and took it for a ride. 1-6 shifts perfect. 6-1 downshifts perfect. I just cannot get it in neutral.'
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANKS
PatM

Re: no neutral

Post by PatM »

You should have a look at the gear indicator switch. It has been known to fail.
BMW calls it Potentiometer gear indicator part #23007718016 [size=1.6em]
Ride safe!
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

Thanks
Is this gear indicator switch to show the bike is in neutral? It is not just my indicator showing the bike is in neutral, the bike will not go in neutral. It goes from 1-2 and 2-1 even when shifting slowly by hand.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I struggle to get mine into neutral when stopped at lights. I find it goes its easy if I try just before stopping. It should go in when stopped with no engine running though.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

With no running engine , hand on shift lever, it will go from 1st to 2nd. Pull in the clutch, start the bike and take off. 1-6 smooth and 6-1 smooth but it by passes neutral no matter how smooth i shift . HELP !!!!!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Could be weak detent spring/ plunger or selector fork issue. Either way we would all be guessing. Sounds like you need professional diagnosis.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

That's what I was afraid of. I would imagine this could be a costly repair.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Is it due an oil change? My 16 GS's gearbox seems to get worse as the oil breaks down towards the 6k mark.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

Like I said earlier, I am 72 years young and take very good care of my stuff. I always use the best synthetic oils in all my motors. I am not hard on my bikes and I do not bang the shift lever. This bike (2014 GS) is the smoothest shifting BMW I have ever ridden. It always shifted better than my RT. The first time my son rode it, he told me that that bike shifted way better than his 2015 GS. It just lost neutral over night for some reason. Rode it for hours, parked it over night and presto, next morning no neutral, go figure.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

yellowjacket wrote: Like I said earlier, I am 72 years young and take very good care of my stuff. I always use the best synthetic oils in all my motors. I am not hard on my bikes and I do not bang the shift lever. This bike (2014 GS) is the smoothest shifting BMW I have ever ridden. It always shifted better than my RT. The first time my son rode it, he told me that that bike shifted way better than his 2015 GS. It just lost neutral over night for some reason. Rode it for hours, parked it over night and presto, next morning no neutral, go figure.

Ok, good luck sorting your issue 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

Had the same problem with my 2009 120RT. Lost neutral completely but the rest of the gears showed up ok on ths dash. I could still find neutral without it being indicsted on the dash thou and most of the time the dash said it was in second but actually wasn't and it was in neutral. I was going to change the switch assembly but didn't have the time to get round to it for a while and just soldiered on as it was. Eventually it all started backup again by itself. Was a bit hit and miss for a couple of days but now working as it should without any assistance from me. Hopefully yours might do the same.
Got other issues with mine just now. Looks like the fuel stril has gone faulty as it was showing a third of a tank and i ran out of petrol 6 miles away from home. Some have suggested flashing the wires as a stopgap but 'm not sure about this. Heard BMW will supply a new fuel strip which would need calibrated anyway and isn't covered under warranty if you get it wrong.

yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

Well here is an update. I have been riding the bile and I have found a very small neutral. I can play with the shifter and find neutral between 1-2. The trick is that there is no green "N" indicator and the bike kills if you put down the kickstand. It will idle with clutch out but must not be completely in neutral. There must be a BMW mechanic out there that has some ideas. The BMW dealer in Fredericksburg Va. cannot get me in before October 21st. Seems they need more mechanics.

milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Early wc models were fitted with a 'thrust adapter' (BMW-speak for the clutch pushrod) that was manufactured out of spec - it was too short! Bikes up to production date 15/7/2014 may well have it fitted, and it could give the problem you have, although I believe general gearchange quality would be affected too. The upgraded part number is 21528544492, item 9 in the pic is the component and shows the old part number.

[attachimg=1]

Pete
Attachments
Thrust-Adapter.jpg
Last edited by milleplod on Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatM

Post by PatM »

If as you say you do find a "small" neutral but the neutral light doesn't come on, it is normal that the engine will die if you release the clutch and the side stand is out. It's working as expected.
I find that getting the wethead in neutral iffy. A defective neutral position sensor would make it almost impossible to do.

Ride safe!
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

This might sound daft, but try adjusting the lever away from the bars, then try finding neutral.