New kid in town and a “big” question

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Classico

New kid in town and a “big” question

Post by Classico »

Hi everybody,

I’m an old biker from Spain, well not that old really, just LX. I’ve had a number of bikes over the years, including an R65 airhead. Currently have a 98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport, 91 Kw Zephyr and 18 Suz Vstrom.

I’m planning on selling the Vstrom and buying a 2011-13 R1200RT. Me and the wife have done some touring with the vstrom and Harley softail before and we liked the experience a lot so an RT is on top of the bucket list for a longer and more comfi touring

The camhead seems to me the model to go for: last of the oil breed, better looking than LC, sweet engine with more than enough power for us, good spec units available, more affordable than early LCs

My only concern is if I would be able to control it fully loaded when stationary since I’m small at 5 7” and 30” inseam.
Will the low seat allow me for safer manouvres??
Heard that the LC (Liquid Cooled) is lower and lighter to move around. Is there really a noticeable difference between the two?
Should I go for an LC instead?

Thks for your help and guidance
bandytales

Re: New kid in town and a “big” question

Post by bandytales »

Classico wrote:

The LC is a better bike in NEARLY all respects.
It certainly feels more agile to push around. However, If I were 5'7" I would think very carefully before I tried to paddle any of these bikes around.
The LC is faster, quicker, more economical, has less faults that have flagged up on the various forums and most (if not yourself) would argue is the prettier bike.
The Camhead is a great bike and has some features which those owners like. For instance the provision for the BMW Tank bag. However, I have had no issues mounting end enjoying the GIVI and SW-Motech bag on the very simple tank ring.
If I were in your shoes (pun intended!), I would try both, but I would encourage you toward the Wethead. Go and give them a go. Test rides are fun anyway. Keep us posted as to what way you go.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

bandytales wrote:
The LC is a better bike in NEARLY all respects.
It certainly feels more agile to push around. However, If I were 5'7" I would think very carefully before I tried to paddle any of these bikes around.
The LC is faster, quicker, more economical, has less faults that have flagged up on the various forums and most (if not yourself) would argue is the prettier bike.
The Camhead is a great bike and has some features which those owners like. For instance the provision for the BMW Tank bag. However, I have had no issues mounting end enjoying the GIVI and SW-Motech bag on the very simple tank ring.
If I were in your shoes (pun intended!),I would try both, but I would encourage you toward the Wethead. Go and give them a go. Test rides are fun anyway. Keep us posted as to what way you go.
Sound advice.
Having ridden both and being a similar height I can say that both have excellent low speed handling characteristics and IMO the LC is the better machine.

I too would advise you to test both.
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

I have just bought a R1250RT with standard seat, set at lowest position its workable for me with my shorty 29" inside leg..... tried the lowered seat and it was better but reckon Ill be fine withe standard one...  after years of motocross bikes getting both feet down is a luxury  :)

Have a test ride and see if your comfortable, not sure which models this works with but I have also seen replacement seat bungs on line for £10 which lower the seat another 10mm.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Lower seat does give more confidence in getting feet planted firmly on the ground, however be aware, it has minimal padding and after 50 miles or so your butt will protest.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Classico wrote: Hi everybody,

I’m an old biker from Spain, well not that old really, just LX. I’ve had a number of bikes over the years, including an R65 airhead. Currently have a  18 Suz Vstrom.

I’m planning on selling the Vstrom and buying a 2011-13 R1200RT. Me and the wife have done some touring with the vstrom and Harley softail before and we liked the experience a lot so an RT is on top of the bucket list for a longer and more comfi touring

The camhead seems to me the model to go for: last of the oil breed, better looking than LC, sweet engine with more than enough power for us, good spec units available, more affordable than early LCs

My only concern is if I would be able to control it fully loaded when stationary since I’m small at 5 7” and 30” inseam.
Heard that the LC (Liquid Cooled) is lower and lighter to move around. Is there really a noticeable difference between the two?

If you can manage a V-Strom with a 30" inseam? you can manage a 10-13 RT with no problem. They're also a great bike.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Classico wrote: My only concern is if I would be able to control it fully loaded when stationary since I’m small at 5 7” and 30” inseam.

I'm 5 5" and 29", used to have a cam head now got a 1250, had a comfort seat on the old bike and stock low seat in high position on the 1250, regularly travel two up with luggage - my wife is also disabled so has limited mobility. No problem manoeuvring providing you don't try and do something daft like reversing fully loaded without getting off the bike first. You need to be comfortable riding a bike at low speed and when you stop only being able to get one foot down but neither of those should be a problem for anyone who has been riding for a few years.
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

I’d say the majority of RT owning acquaintances I’ve made over the years were less than average height, it’s popular with a wide range of volunteers in the blood bike world.

Get testing, and ask the dealers to demonstrate the adjustable seat so you can try it at different settings.

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Classico,

Maybe you are asking the wrong group of people.

The weather protection on the RT is certainly superb - the whole fairing is designed to put the rider in a pocket of still air.

Here in the UK we think a hot summer's day is 25C, where as in Spain it might be 32C.

I suffer behind a fully faired bike in great heat and I urge you to consider this - of course you can always put a sports screen on. You might also consider a factory-lowered GS which would provide more breeze or even a lowered V-Strom 1000.

As others have said, try before you buy.
John Bentall
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

I'm not tall as well. 169cm with quite short legs. I have 1250RT, with both seats, standard and lower one. I can ride on both fully loaded with pillion. Standard one have better comfort in the long runs, lower one allow me to feel more secure in a bit more challenged terrain. By that I mean some mountain roads where you stop with some slope, etc. Not always flat nice surface.

And as @beemerboy9 noticed, RT is great bike for the weather conditions more suitable to UK, Germany, and similar ones. I'm not sure how you will feel behind full fairing in the temperatures like in Spain. But that is very personal. You have to try it out.
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

[size=0px]RT is great bike for the weather conditions more suitable to UK, Germany,[/size]
[size=0px]
[/size]
[size=0px]The difference between the UK and spain is the clothing [/size] :) . When I have been in Spain most riders are wearing shorts and fip flops  :))

Seriously though, if your weather is warm enough for long enough you would buy mesh / perforated bike gear, where as here we wear waterproof kit  :-X . With the UK weather forecast for the UK this weekend being heavy rain.... keep safe everyone.

p.s. the heavy rain is my fault, new bike being delivered Saturday morning......
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Hi Classico,
I have had another thought too. The Wethead is actually easier for short legged  people than the Camhead because with any given (stock) seat height, the width is narrower, so your legs are splayed less, so your little legs will touch down earlier!
Classico

Post by Classico »

Thanks a bunch for all replies!

Thought that this forum cater for all 1200RT equally but seems keener on LC units. No wonder,  the LC is a better machine in all aspects but price and, to me only, aesthetics

Think that the 11-13 model will do for me even more so with the comfort seat which makes for a better reach and is kinder with the butt. If a find a 2014+ at a good price that could be a taker instead

As for weather i prefer to travel off hot season in Spain and do European routes during may to october months, avoiding high peak season so more affordable acommodation and less crowded roads. I have the Highlands, Blackforest and some Alps in mind for my next 3 tours
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Classico wrote:The camhead seems to me the model to go for: last of the oil breed, better looking than LC, sweet engine with more than enough power for us, good spec units available, more affordable than early LCs.
Agreed, which is why I'm running around on an eight year old 2012 Camhead when I could have a new RT.
Classico wrote:The LC is a better machine in all aspects but price and, to me only, aesthetics.
I too prefer the appearance of the Camhead over the LC.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

It may be a bit "tippy" for you in some situations:  Backing up on uneven,or slippery ground, or when you stop athwart a hill.  I really like the BMW low seat I bought, tho' haven't really taken a long day's ride on it, so can't speak to the comfort.  What is helpful on my 2005 and 2009 was to take at ALL the seat height adjustment hardware;  gives you about a half inch lowering.  I also popped out the pegs' return spring, so that you can fold them backwards before backing up.  This allows you to put your feet straight down to take full advantage of your inseam, and you're not hitting your shins on them when you back up.  Would recommend cylinder head armor in case it does go over.  Except for the lousy mirrors and the up-you-sleeve wind off the low fairing, it's a fabulous ride, even in the twisties.  Enjoy.  BTW, you don't write like a Spaniard!