Newbie stupid questions...

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Have i bought a money pit

Newbie stupid questions...

Post by Have i bought a money pit »

Hi everybody!
I have a lovely 2011 MU ex Police bike. Recently it developed a fault with the left hand switch gear. I have no right hand side indicators, and my screen won't come down, but it will go up! My questions are as follows. What size and shape are the screws holding the switch gear together;ie, are they regular allen keys, or something else, and are the different button options/configurations interchangeable?
For example, I have no cruise, or ESA cus of it being poverty spec old bill bike. If I got a unit with, lets say everything I have on my bike plus the ESA function, would it work for me, with a redundant ESA button, or would it confuse the brain and stop it working altogether?
Here is a picture of my controls, for a reference.
Many thanks in advance. [attachimg=1]

Attachments
20200925_095952.jpg
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Newbie stupid questions...

Post by milleplod »

I'd think it was the switch playing up - the earlier Jap-style switch clusters are well known for failing. I believe the cable from it runs under the fuel tank, meaning that has to come off so you can unplug the switch - it certainly did on my earlier RT that had the paddle indicators. It's not that much of a job the get the tank off, the plastics come off easily enough for access, and the tank connectors are easy to get at too.

Why not buy a switch cluster with the redundant switches from an eBay trader, try it, and if it doesn't work properly, return it - all traders offer a no-quibble returns policy under eBay rules.
Pete

Thanks for your response. I've had no luck sourcing a replacement from the UK, so i've had to import one.
Do you or anyone know if the combination switches have improved over time, or are all of them shite. I'm considering buying a liquid cooled model. Are they better/improved on those bikes, or are they just as bad?
Such a shame, cus i'm absolutely smitten with the big German bike.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have i bought a money pit wrote:Do you or anyone know if the combination switches have improved over time.
The design of the switches has changed, have a look at this thread for further details, viewtopic.php?p=54080#p54080

Hi, thanks for that. Gives me hope that one day i'll own one of these without having to worry about whats going to break next!
Unfortunately I have no garage, so my bikes have to live outside. Apart from covering them up completely,  is there anything else I can do to help them?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have i bought a money pit wrote:Apart from covering them up completely, is there anything else I can do to help them?
You could have it treated by All Year Biker, https://allyearbiker.co.uk/

"XCP Rust Blocker is a new ‘high tech’ coating offering up to 4 times greater protection level.  The coating is slightly tactile so while larger areas can be buffed to a shine, road dirt can accumulate over time. Washing with mild detergent will remove this and keep your bike looking clean  while maintaining the long lasting protection. This option is the best solution for bikes exposed to greater potential corrosion problems e.g.  near sea spray, industrial fallout, road side parking or long term storage etc."
Last edited by David. on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for that, never heard of them. Saved to my favorite list!