Newbie to this forum

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
ymfb

Newbie to this forum

Post by ymfb »

To date I have owned five GS’, it’s become time to get something lower and less adventurous so have p/x’d the R1250GSA for the equivalent RT, which I collect next Friday.

I had a 90th edition RT back in about 2013, last of the air cooled models, we didn’t gel, but it was a lovely looking bike. 

I haven’t fallen out of love for the GS and I might start looking for a 650/800, but for practical two up touring which accounts for a significant percentage of my mileage it was causing us a few problems getting off at the end of a long day.

It’s been coming for a while and probably should have bought an RT instead of the current GSA.  When the GSA needed to go in for a day long firmware upgrade we loaned an RT and headed down to Worthing and along the south coast. 

I already know some of you from UKGSER.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Newbie to this forum

Post by Casbar »

Welcome Steve, some good debates on here and many with lots of knowledge around bikes and the RT in general.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Welcome and enjoy
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

ymfb wrote:
It’s been coming for a while and probably should have bought an RT instead of the current GSA.  When the GSA needed to go in for a day long firmware upgrade we loaned an RT and headed down to Worthing and along the south coast. 

I remember one German journalist writing that his favourite bike for one-up touring was the 1200GS and for two-up touring the RT. Both are exceptionally capable machines.
John Bentall
Nin

Post by Nin »

ymfb wrote: I already know some of you from UKGSER.
Morning. Guilty as charged.  I made the swap a few weeks ago from GS/GSA to RT and very pleased with it so far after a couple of thousand miles. 

What I particularly like is that the luggage is part of the bike, and it works as an integrated unit (I have central locking).  And that I don’t need to fit a whole lot of extra bits! 

And apart from a couple of km on a gravel track, it’s out-performed the GSA for every one of those miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Welcome to a great forum good hints and tips !!!!
Dartman340ta

Post by Dartman340ta »

Well I’m a newbie on here my self.  I rode airheads and still do.  Love that machine.  The wife bought me a 2015 rt one with no radio no extras .... after riding airheads for so long there’s was some major differences I had to get used to.  Like it’s fast it stops.it gets great fuel mileage just to name a few. The factory seat was as usual hard as a rock.  Russell day longed that.  Only short rides till I had got used to it 100 miles or somewhere in that area. Then I needed a long ride.    Knee surgery was all good . Cool weather mid 70’s time for a long ride.  So 1800 miles 5 state’s beautiful weather from Tennesse up through Ohio over into Pennsylvania down through West Virginia and Virginia back into Tennesse . the weather couldn’t have been nicer the new machine preformed flawlessly.no gps ,no phone ( well in the he saddle bag )
Ps get your maps ahead of time. Visiting centers are the only places I found maps.  Few a far between on back roads.