new member and a request for a survey

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Robbertq

new member and a request for a survey

Post by Robbertq »

Let me introduce myselves,

My name is Robbert, 50+ years old. I've been riding BMW R80RT since 1997 and last year I bought a R1200rtp. I've added a photo and hope is shows after posting this message

Last year I started a technical study at a dutch academy ("one is never to old te learn" according too a dutch saying) For an assigment of the course reliability of technical systems, I have to write an technical paper about failure modes and a root-cause analyses. I'm challenged to "bring my own problem" and my motorcycle is the lucky one;-)

Some background:
In 1997 I bought a second hand motorcycle to commute between my house and work in the “randstad” in Holland. It was a BMW R80RT. As I am interested in mechanics, I decided to do the maintenance my selves. As source of information I used 3th party maintenance manuals and internet fora. In 2019 I bought my third motorcycle a BMW R1200RT-P, a former police motorcycle, again with the intention to do (almost) all maintenance myself. Browsing over Internet fora I found a lot of disturbing items about failures of the drive-shaft of these motorcycles. I’ve never read these kind of failures on the older R-series motorcycles.

The assignment:
The assignment will cover common failures of the drive-shaft of BMW R1200 model motorcycles. It will contain an analysis of the failure modes, a root cause analyse and when possible advise how to prevent these failures. Using this survey I try get collect information about drive-shaft fails, can I find a relation to certain models or usage?

I would be greatful if you would fill in this survey if your motorcycle had a drive-shaft failure.
It should take not more than 5 minutes of your time and all provided information will only be used for this assignment.

Robbert

link to survey https://www.enquetesmaken.com/s/56f2c61
Attachments
DSC_8054.jpg
Last edited by Robbertq on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R80RT 1986 and R1200RT-P 2012 usually every day by bike to work, (not now thanks to COVID-19)
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: new member and a request for a survey

Post by milleplod »

Hi Robert.
I would have completed the survey, as I had a bike with the failure.....but you forgot to list the R1200ST!  :)

Just in case anyone else has forgotten the ST.......

[attachimg=1]

Pete
Attachments
ST1.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Robbertq wrote:I would be grateful if you would fill in this survey if your motorcycle had a drive-shaft failure.
Question 3 is, "Did your motorbike have a drive-shaft failure?" Yes or No.

Is any feedback for a non-failure helpful?

Robbertq

Post by Robbertq »

Pete, thanks for your reply, I've added the R1200ST model
In response to Davids question, the survey is about this failure, so I don't think it is helpfull to fill in the survey if you were not so unfortunate to experience a driveshaft failure. I'm not gathering information about all the times that the driveshaft doesn't fail (hopefully most of the times for bikes below the 1 million miles of KM).
It is written on the first page, and I have put it as a question on the third page to emphasize it. Should I change that?

regards,

Robbert.

R80RT 1986 and R1200RT-P 2012 usually every day by bike to work, (not now thanks to COVID-19)
Robbertq

Post by Robbertq »

At the moment I don't receive any Emails with attachment on my gmail account ([email protected]).  I cannot find why. Emails without attachments do arrive.

I've changed the Email address in the survey to: [email protected]
So if you've already taken the effort of sending me photo's to the Gmail address, please can you send them again but now to  [email protected] ?

p.s. anybody knows If I have to enable attachments in Gmail ?

p.s. 2: one R1200ST entry received, was that you Pete?

Robbert
Last edited by Robbertq on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Hi Robbert.
Yes, it was me. No photos available, sorry- the bike was written off in France a few years ago....just after I'd spent a fortune having the shift refurbished!
Pete