A new money pit?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Have i bought a money pit

A new money pit?

Post by Have i bought a money pit »

Hi everybody!
I have taken the plunge and purchased a 2016 RT on the strength of how much I have loved the 2011 model I currently own.
Have I chosen wisely, or should I have stuck to the old one?
I would love to know your thoughts, and any advice, tips, tricks, and pitfalls of ownership.
Many thanks in advance.
Dartman340ta

Re: A new money pit?

Post by Dartman340ta »

You know I took the so called plunge also to a certain point.  Been riding airheads for sometime.  Bought a 15 1200rt put a couple thousand miles on it around home here.  Always felt good..took a 5 state ride 1800 miles felt goood the whole trip.  Not surprised being it’s a Bmw boxer motor. I just wonder if I’ll get the years out of a new one that I got out of my airheads. Just retired one a few years ago 320,000 miles.  67,000 miles on the present one 81 r 100 rt 24,000on this 2015 rt wet head. I do like the new bike a lot.  Needs a couple more little farkels biggest one was the seat .

PatM

Post by PatM »

It depends on what you mean by money pit?
If you mean farkles, there's lots of them available. If you mean maintenance/break downs, my '16 has been very reliable.
I do my own maintenance so it's basically oil, filters, spark plugs, tires, etc.
Knock on wood, I haven't had any mechanical issues except a few burned low beam headlights.
Ride safe!

Dartman340ta wrote: You know I took the so called plunge also to a certain point.  Been riding airheads for sometime.  Bought a 15 1200rt put a couple thousand miles on it around home here.  Always felt good..took a 5 state ride 1800 miles felt goood the whole trip.  Not surprised being it’s a Bmw boxer motor. I just wonder if I’ll get the years out of a new one that I got out of my airheads. Just retired one a few years ago 320,000 miles.  67,000 miles on the present one 81 r 100 rt 24,000on this 2015 rt wet head. I do like the new bike a lot.  Needs a couple more little farkels biggest one was the seat .
Wow thats a lot of miles for a truck, never mind a bike, nice!
Thanks.

PatM wrote: It depends on what you mean by money pit?
If you mean farkles, there's lots of them available. If you mean maintenance/break downs, my '16 has been very reliable.
I do my own maintenance so it's basically oil, filters, spark plugs, tires, etc.
Knock on wood, I haven't had any mechanical issues except a few burned low beam headlights.
Thanks. What I mean when I say money pit is, will it be reliable, will I need to replace the switchgear every 6 months!, will it start 1st time every time, even in winter etc etc. It's probably going to be a great bike for me. It's easy to be disheartened by reading all the faults people have on the forums.
As for farkles, I intend to equip my bike with some additional Denali lights, horn, and maybe some cameras, but we'll see.