How to Fit a TOM TOM Rider 4XX to a 1250RT

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
the motorcycle garage

How to Fit a TOM TOM Rider 4XX to a 1250RT

Post by the motorcycle garage »

Astonishingly its very easy as the mounting points for the Garmin multi pin connector exactly match the TOM TOM rider slide on mount ( some mistake or is BMW secretly shipping the new 1250RT with a TOM TOM option in the Far East??! ) - Remove the windscreen and the top dash board. Unscrew the Garmin multi pin mount and disconnect from the harness. Buy a Nippy Normans TOM TOM cable assembly GAR-CANBUSZU660
Its £19. Get the soldering Iron out - Cable 1 = Ground ( black on the TOM TOM cable ) and Cable 3 = Positive ( RED on the Tom TOM cable ) Cable 2 not used.
Get 4 x 50 mm M5 bolts and 8 x M5 washers and nuts from your local stockist ( stainless steel is poss or ZINC to stop rust ) - Drill out the existing holes in dash to 7mm. Push bolts through and fit all washers and nuts.( leave loose at first as you need to screw in the bolts to the TOM TOM mount first - then tighten it all up. )
Use either Thread lock or nail varnish to hold the nuts tight. See pics for how it should look. It works very well, does not vibrate and turns off when the ignition is switched off ( 30 sec delay )
Happy Stress Free TOM TOM sat Navving!!
Attachments
It should look like this when its finished 3.jpg
It should look like this when its finished 2.jpg
It should look like this when its finished 1.jpg
How to fix the bolts washers and nuts.jpg
TOM TOM Rider 4xx mount with the Ram mount removed.jpg
TOM TOM Rider 4xx mount.jpg
Nippy Normans sat Nav Cable Assembly .jpg
Last edited by the motorcycle garage on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Motorcycle Garage
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: How to Fit a TOM TOM Rider 4XX to a 1250RT

Post by beemerboy9 »

Well, it is cheaper than this solution.
John Bentall
Tony Fyson
Great Britain

Re: How to Fit a TOM TOM Rider 4XX to a 1250RT - Questions

Post by Tony Fyson »

Thanks for a very informative topic.I have a TomTom Rider 550, which seems to use the same mount.
I unbolted the Garmin multipin plug, and positioned it behind the instrument cluster.  I had to separate the cover from the circuit board, to enable the assembly to be wriggled through the gap in the dashboard moulding.  I then reassembled the multipin plug, and cable tied it to the existing wiring.

I used 5mm socket head bolts, and attached the TomTom mount upside down, as it fits closer to the dashboard moulding.  I can easily remove the satnav.
When the satnav boots up, initially the image is upside down, but it then rotates itself to be the correct way up.
I purchased the accessory lead, noted in your thread, but it does not fit the accessory socket.  It only engages by about half an inch - see photos. I have a 2019 RT 1250.

Questions...
  • Does your accessory socket feature a brown and a white wire?
  • Does your accessory socket have two very small pins?
  • Do you have to modify the accessory socket or accessory lead socket, to enable the plug to fully engage?
Attachments
Assembled socket.JPG
Unassembled socket.JPG
TomTom in place.JPG
Mount rear view.JPG
Garmin relocated.JPG
Mount front view.JPG
the motorcycle garage

The nippy Norman’s cable assembly should fit perfectly in exactly the same way that the Garmin lead from the sat nav plate fits. If not then I would think that NNmans have sent the wrong assembly? I think you can also buy the assembly from BMW, but you would have to check.
The Motorcycle Garage
Tony Fyson
Great Britain

Post by Tony Fyson »

Do you have a photo of your accessory socket?  My white socket does not fit into the NN lead socket - it slides in by 7mm, but is too large to fit into the smaller recessed area.Could BMW have fitted a different accessory socket?
Attachments
Accessory Socket1.JPG
Accessory socket 2.jpg
the motorcycle garage

Unfortunately I don’t have a pic of the connectors. Mine went together no problem. Does the Garmin BMW loom you took off fit cleanly onto the socket you are looking at? I think only the SE version had the Garmin sat prep. Maybe the loom is different between the versions?  Can’t definitely say now what the colour coding of the BMW loom is. Maybe BMW have changed the colour code and plug type between batch build dates. This is probably a question for your local BMW service agent. As it’s the ‘accessory’ socket, what else do BMW sell that would attach to it? Maybe that would give a pointer to the plug type - sorry I can’t be of further assistance.
The Motorcycle Garage
Tony Fyson
Great Britain

Post by Tony Fyson »

Thanks for your reply.
I unplugged the Garmin socket, and plugged the accessory lead in its place.  I thought that that the two pin socket on the Garmin loom was the accessory socket.  (Silly me)!So now, I have a switched live feed to my TomTom sat nav.
Many thanks for your help.
the motorcycle garage

Glad u sorted it! Happy Tom Tom sat navving!! Regards
The Motorcycle Garage
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Can I ask why you decided not to use the Garmin V or VI and went with TomTom, what is better on the TomTom?

Second question, does the TomTom work via the wonder-wheel and display all the bike info pages the Garmin does?
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Nice job. I used plastic to make spacers with a new grey plastic panel to mount my TomTom. I bought the TomTom over the Garmin for several reasons.
1) Much cheaper
2) Its fast and accurate (Garmin is too I'm sure)
3) It has built in WiFi so uploading routes, tracks or favourites is easy via MyDrive. No physical connection required between device and computer.
4) MyDrive is easier than Basecamp for route planning.
5) MyDrive can be used on my iPhone.

However its not perfect. There is no folder system for routes etc. and no music player. Both of these have been asked for but TomTom are known for being a little slow at giving us, the customers what we want.
Attachments
IMG_0288.jpg
IMG_0287.jpg
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Disadvantage of TomTom is there is no connection to wonder wheel and it does not display any bike info.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Levisp wrote: Disadvantage of TomTom is there is no connection to wonder wheel and it does not display any bike info.

I can't see a big advantage to using the "wonder" wheel on the RT. Seemed to have more function on  a GS.
the motorcycle garage

if anyone’s interested I’ve put a video on YouTube of the fitting of Wunderlich engine bars to the R1250RT as the Wunderlich instructions are terrible ( I mean absolutely terrible)
Please find link:
https://youtu.be/3iSL8wmKOK4

The Motorcycle Garage