Refusing to start !

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Refusing to start !

Post by David. »

With the engine running at a fast idle, just needs a multimeter across the battery, how difficult is that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvRe9g_2gyM
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

David. wrote: With the engine running at a fast idle, just needs a multimeter across the battery, how difficult is that.

That will test the alternator output voltage not the drain on the system when switched of or overnight.  If it was only that simple....
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Putting the multimeter in series with the battery will measure any current drain on the battery, simples!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhqZwLnD9Jk
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Thank god for you tube and Google.

Your comment about testing the alternator output on a fast idle wouldn't point you you in the correct direction for a intermittent none start, as the test meter would tell you if there was enough voltage in the battery prior to starting and running on a fast idle.
So how difficult is it to test a battery with a test meter....not very.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Both BMW dealers have done no more than one, change the battery and two, charge the battery.

Other than that, there is nothing wrong with the bike!

The battery is going flat, either not being charged on the bike or a current drain when switched off.
DaveCly wrote:Over the past couple of months, I have seen the battery symbol come up, and the dash reset itself.

So I was happy to go along with the mechanic’s call on the battery.

Just been back in the garage to try and start it and the battery symbol is showing again, first time this week it’s shown itself, new battery was fitted.
The Rider's Manual says the vehicle voltage can be displayed via the OBC, don't need a multimeter.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote:

The battery is going flat, either not being charged on the bike.

Most likely the this^. Had a similar problem with my lads R6 a few years ago. Nothings been added to Dave's bike to cause additional drain on the battery, The battery's new, so shouldn't be any problems there.. The battery's probably not being charged whilst on the bike while running.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Sorry for the late reply boys ! Been on BB shift !

David ... I don’t blame any dealership (yet)..  Douglas Park fitted a new battery as asked ... time was tight so diagnostic’s didn’t happen !

Williams ... I told a new battery had been fit, i can only assume that it was.
Again I presumed that the bike would go on diagnostic’s as part of the service ??
While in Inveraray the bike wouldn’t start .. but 3 hours later when the recovery guy turned up it did 🤷‍♂️ ... thinking about it surely it can’t recharge itself ?

I’m thinking on the lines of Sim/ David ... something is draining the battery, I hope they can tell me what 🤷‍♂️

Mike ... nothing paid yet
Last edited by DaveCly on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaveCly wrote:While Inveraray the bike wouldn’t start but 3 hours later when the recovery guy turned up it did.
Ah, I did wonder how the recovery guy got the bike started. Yet, Williams said the battery was flat. Very strange indeed.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

A few years back I had a Triumph sprint GT that would not start when hot.  Behaved like the battery was flat  turned out to be a faulty starter.  The tolerances were out and when hot things jammed up  as soon as it cooled down it started normally.    Took ages to find the problem  Triumph replaced it under warranty.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Had a starter motor do similar to me years ago. But needed bike to be left in sun to warm up b4 starting got be home from Europe then died completely
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

My 2015 RT exhibited a similar problem. Dealer replaced the battery but it would go flat after a few days. Dealer then suggested I bring the bike back for a software upgrade. Apparently the accessory socket, even without a load on it, wouldn't turn off and was causing the battery to drain. It was a known service item. I didn't understand how that could happen but the bike has been fine since the upgrade.
Last edited by emlevy on Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
DaveCly
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

emlevy wrote: My 2015 RT exhibited a similar problem. Dealer replaced the battery but it would go flat after a few days. Dealer request I bring the bike back for a software upgrade. Apparently the accessory socket, even without a load on it, wouldn't turn off and was causing the battery to drain. It was a known service item. I didn't understand how that could happen but the bike has been fine since the upgrade.

Thanks for that .... all things I can put to the dealer to get it rectified 👍
DaveCly
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Well just a little update 🙄 still no bike back, and today told they admit it has a drain on the battery, but as yet don’t know from where 🤷‍♂️
DaveCly
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Well finally today I got the bike back ! They couldn’t find a drain, and decided the new battery fitted at Douglas Motorrad Glasgow was at fault! So Williams have fitted a new battery and will have to claim for it back from Glasgow ! Because I wasn’t paying for another, much to their disappointment!
I was told last night by warranty that the bike would be with me before 12 lunchtime today at 12.50 they rang to say it would be up to 90mins at 4.30 they rang and said it would be in the next 60 mins 🙄 it finally turned up at 6pm !
In all pretty dismal service imo from start to finish
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Hope it was dud battery but very sceptical on that one. Shounds like they couldn't find fault, and terrible custom service.