Fitted Aeroflow tall screen

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Paggers

Re: Fitted Aeroflow tall screen

Post by Paggers »

I went out for a local rid today so here are some first impressions.

Pros:
First thing I noticed on riding off was my helmet steaming up; despite being at residential speeds I was already seeing significantly less wind hitting the visor and so ventilating the helmet. I opened up a couple of additional vents and that was that sorted. For the first part of the outing I headed for the M56 and along it for ten miles or so. I experimented with the screen at various heights and, to be honest, once it is more than around two inches above the rest position anything more doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in terms of noise. I assume that by that point I it is throwing any turbulence over my head. What I did find was that if I raised the screen to a position where I am looking over the edge (that's how I would ride with the stock screen) then there is a massive difference in the amount of wind hitting my body. With the stock screen my arms tend to stick out into the air flow and get buffeted - nothing like that with the Aeroflow screen.

Cons:
I like the way it looks on the bike but, due to some wierdness of perspective, when I am sitting on the bike it looks like one of those curved scooter screens. I can see why people refer to it as a 'tombstone'. I'm not entirely convinced by the slightly bluish tinge in the edges of the plastic. I doubt I will notice it in the future but comparing it with the stock screen which is truly 'clear' it stands out on first view. On a brief motorway ride I did try putting the screen all the way up - this resulted in me looking through it (which I don't really like) but also I found there was quite a bit of 'low pressure' turbulence behind the screen at 70mph. As I will never ride with the screen that high it's not really a factor, just reporting it for completeness.

Conclusion:
The ride wasn't really long enough to support any meaningful conclusion - I will report more when I have had a chance to do a long motorway run. What is the main 'takeaway' is that after playing with it on the initial motorway run I set it at about 2" above the rest position and after that, throughout the rest of the ride, I never thought about it once. So clearly there is no obvious negative that was drawing my attention to it.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

That is a well done video. BUT, you simply cannot compare windshields of different heights and say one is better or worse! The WERKS Quiet Ride in the video is a 24" tall version. There are 26" and 28" tall versions available that would have been the direct comparison to the two Aeroflow screens. One reason a taller screen will almost always be less noisy and have less turbulence is that the higher you raise a windshield the steeper the angle becomes due to the way the RT linkage works. That changes how the air flows off the screen as well as the distance from the riders helmet. You run the taller screen lower, with a flatter angle, which is usually smoother.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
kiki

Post by kiki »

I was the one who did the video, and Terry, from Werks, was kind enough to contact me privately, and politely point out the "apples to oranges" comparison issue when it comes to heights. He is very correct on that specific issue.

Taller shields do a better job of turbulence reduction because they can be run lower and therefore the top edge is closer to your face, allowing the most effective portion of the flare to do its job.
A broader statement that he would agree with , i think, is that flared windshields are the answer. He was an early comer to the RTW with a flared shield, and i am sold on that concept.

If I was rich, i would have bought one of all the after-market shields and done a truly thorough comparison. But i tested what i had and what i bought.

The downside to to taller shields is the reduction in airflow on hotter rides. There was implied reference to this in the OP's ride review.

Regarding the pertinent question on fuel economy, i am an iron butt guy, so after our first spring run in 2017 (2500 in 2 days) i will be in a good position to comment on that.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Swapping from a 1600GTL to an LC I was initially put off by how close the top edge of the screen was to my head when it was in the lowest position. 
With a much taller screen are you able to grab it in your teeth to stop it vibrating on tick over
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

kiki wrote: I was the one who did the video...
Great set of videos by the way, I have worked my way through all of the RTW ones. They had a lot to do with me deciding to stick with the BMW over the Triumph Trophy, which was my second choice. So thanks, and keep up the good work.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

RTman10 wrote: Swapping from a 1600GTL to an LC I was initially put off by how close the top edge of the screen was to my head when it was in the lowest position. 
With a much taller screen are you able to grab it in your teeth to stop it vibrating on tick over
I can't speak for the others, but there is no vibration in the Aeroflow one. I think that is in part because the plastic is slightly thicker, and in part because of the shape - no 'wings' at the top.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So at a standstill on tuckover your screen is absolutely still.  That's very unique.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

RTman10 wrote: So at a standstill on tuckover your screen is absolutely still. That's very unique.
Oooh...sarcasm. I'm touched that you found the time to visit your wisdom upon me.

I'll take another look at it when I am next out, but if it's moving then it's certainly not something that was drawing my attention. Unlike the stock one of course, which looks like it could take off with just a bit more effort.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Paggers wrote: Great set of videos by the way, I have worked my way through all of the RTW ones. They had a lot to do with me deciding to stick with the BMW over the Triumph Trophy, which was my second choice. So thanks, and keep up the good work.

Thanks for the kind words!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Pagers.No sarcasm intended.  Just my observation that there is some movement on the top,edge of the screen when the bike is just ticking over.  It's nothing to do with the design or thickness[size=78%] of the screen, just that it's attached by two adjustable arms and there is movement in them when the engine is running. [/size]
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Update following my first longer ride. I did a trip down to my brother's - just under 80 miles on A roads on the way there and 50/50 A roads and motorway on the way back. I'm not sure what I can say other than, the screen works fine. I have settled on a screen position that is probably around 50%.

If I am not listening to music then I am aware of wind flow over the top of my helmet - but it is not turbulent and at 6' 1" and with the seat in the higher position I'm not expecting to ever get to a point where there is no wind at all. Aside from that, wind doesn't really play a factor. From visor down, and out as far as I care to stick my elbows, there is no sensation of wind hitting me.

I'm not going to try and compare the screen with any of the other after-market ones out there, other than to say that it has turned out to be a very expensive option for a UK buyer, but I can confirm that it is a significant improvement over the stock screen. I will be happily sticking with it.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Interesting post and comments, has anyone tried the MRA X-Creen touring screen extension on the RT.
GJ-MOTO
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Casbar wrote:
Got to say the Werks is really good, only need it up 30% and its very quiet, you don't need ear plugs and you can ride with your visor up, if thats your thing. Much better than standard  8)

This is what I’m looking for I believe. I have an ‘11 rt with the stock windscreen that I absolutely have to wear ear plugs even for around town. I’m 6’ and finding the ideal aftermarket windscreen has me perplexed.
ETaylor

Post by ETaylor »

I have the Aeroflow short screen and like it.  I rode it through the winter and found that it worked well. The Aeroflow windscreen is a not as clear of a plastic as other screens. This isn't a problem as I almost never look through the screen.
Half way through a very hot summer I decided I needed more airflow. I remounted the stock windscreen and rediscovered how much I hated it.  Our city police department drives RT's and recommend the VStream.  I now have the VStream standard height and like it. Its now may favorite windscreen.  Lets see how far into the fall I need to  refit the Airflow for winter. 
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

After watching KiKi’s video twice I contacted Werks. Terry the owner sent me to his friend 7jurocks as he makes an aftermarket taller windscreen for my ‘11 rt. I ordered the 26” screen in clear. Almost went with the grey tint but changed my mind. Great video KiKi!