General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Motor32
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT '23
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times
United States of America

Re: ### 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

Post by Motor32 »

Casbar wrote: That is unbelievable, could they possibly have old stock or something. I can honestly say I have not heard on any forum anyone that has had the recurrence of issues you have had. If people have had issues, they seem to be sorted with one visit. Can you reject the bike?

I don't think BMW has any idea of which Hayes calipers are bad or good. I was told before at the dealer that I might see some weeping of fluid but it should stop after they bed in, but the investigator told me that they should never leak at all since it's a closed system. This has been a very unfortunate experience and I think it's time to explore other avenues. 

Steve
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

I do not know how dealers operate across the pond , surely over here you are within your rights to demand a replacement bike , leaking brakes must come under the vehicle is not fit for purpose , and i would of thought a reputable dealer would offer you a replacement bike without question after all we are paying a lot of cash for these bikes because of there reliability and build quality , best wishes you get it sorted out .
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

I do not know how dealers operate across the pond , surely over here you are within your rights to demand a replacement bike , leaking brakes must come under the vehicle is not fit for purpose , and i would of thought a reputable dealer would offer you a replacement bike without question after all we are paying a lot of cash for these bikes because of there reliability and build quality , best wishes you get it sorted out .

Here in Arizona we have what are called "Lemon Laws" each state is different but motorcycles are covered here. See below.

Steve

Does not conform to the manufacturer’s express warranty
  • Has substantial defects affecting the use, safety, or value of the vehicle
  • Has manufacturer’s defects that occurred during the manufacturer’s express warranty, the first two from the original owner’s delivery date, or the first 24,000 miles on the odometer (whichever period ends first)
  • Has been taken in four times for the same problem or if it has been out of service for 30 calendars days due to the same problem
  • After the dealer has tried to repair the vehicle four times, the manufacturer has been notified and given an opportunity to repair the vehicle
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Here's part 2 from today with the right side now leaking also after getting my third set of Hayes calipers installed, five times at the dealer for this.

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGqORoN2CAE
Last edited by Motor32 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

The RT is really great bike. I'm sorry you experiencing this kind of problems.
I'm not sure if that's the BMW dealers problem or what. I'm starting thinking that in your bike could be faulty also calipers mounts, maybe since the first time they try to tighten calipers.
Of course above is only valid if they did what I suspecting, replace just calipers and maybe bolts, but left old mounts.

Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Here's the stop sale notice here in USA.

Steve

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V476-5006.pdf
Last edited by Motor32 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

[size=16px]Today Nov 10, the dealer is picking up my bike to remove the third set of leaking Hayes calipers and installing my fourth set. I've had my bike 7 months and two of them it's sat parked because of this ongoing issue, sad.[/size][size=16px][size=16px][size=16px]Steve[/size]
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

It sounds like the best course of action would be to send the bike back, get your money back and goto a different dealer. These problems seem to be unique to them.
Hope it gets sorted either way.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote:... most once they get over the callipers don't have a Brembo badge, seem to like them better,

Not sure that is anywhere near true. I think that the truth is more like:
So long as the brakes do what they are supposed to do, I don't even think about them.

I also think the comment made by Beagle at post# 13 is nearer the truth inasmuch as we dabble with brake pads and/or discs,  THEN we start to notice a difference in feel/fade and stopping power.
Last edited by bandytales on Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Graham88 wrote: It sounds like the best course of action would be to send the bike back, get your money back and goto a different dealer. These problems seem to be unique to them.
Hope it gets sorted either way.

This is the third dealer it's been to. We still have a stop sale on all of the BMW's with the Hayes calipers on them here in the USA. This is nuts.

Steve
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

I just returned from the dealer with my FOURTH set of Hayes calipers in 7 months, they also replaced the rim. The clock is ticking on these to start leaking, stay tuned.

Steve
Last edited by Motor32 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

This is what I've heard from the guy at the Department of Transportation here in the USA:

"We have been in contact with BMW and it sounds like they are working on a more comprehensive solution."

Not much but it sounds better than changing leaking calipers for new leaking calipers.

Steve