R1250RT 2020 key fob battery change

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
eral

R1250RT 2020 key fob battery change

Post by eral »

Hi,
Just got my new bike today and I am reading the manual (some people do). I cannot figure out how to open the key fob to change the battery. The manual says: "Press battery cover 2 upward." I tried to press every where, but nothing opens.
Sorry for being dumb :(
Eric
-oSò
PeteM

Re: R1250RT 2020 key fob battery change

Post by PeteM »

You had me intrigued so I took mine apart...

The bit outlined in red is the bit you need to pull off, the direction it moves is straight up as you look at the photo. I needed to get a small screwdriver into the joint to get it to come up as it is quite tight.

For some reason it does not appear to allow me to embedded an image, if it does not come out then look here:- https://photos.app.goo.gl/5eosY72xeA1QT9Fr7

Attachments
Fob.png
Last edited by PeteM on Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
eral

Post by eral »

Thanks Pete, I was not ready to use a screwdriver after only a few hours of getting my new baby.

So it's more like break it open? Not a very good design, a small screw would have been preferable. Does anyone know the battery life expectancy?

-oSò
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

eral wrote: Thanks Pete, I was not ready to use a screwdriver after only a few hours of getting my new baby.

So it's more like break it open? Not a very good design, a small screw would have been preferable. Does anyone know the battery life expectancy?

It only needs a little bit of force with the screwdriver so little chance of breaking.

No idea on life as have never had to change
eral

Post by eral »

Thank you. I found it pretty funny that one has to remove the loudspeaker and squeeze the key under the instrument cluster if the battery runs out. It is not like any tool (miserable set) under the saddle allows you to do that, so I was trying to stay prepared. Probably a better strategy to keep a spare battery in the little storage compartments.
Blue Skies
Last edited by eral on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-oSò
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

On my 2014 RT the screwdriver under the seat has a flat blade and torx head which fits the loudspeaker bolts.
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
eral

Post by eral »

Perfect video, thank you. The screwdriver on mine is philips and torx, so maybe I was wrong.
-oSò
Erable

Post by Erable »

Regarding battery life expectancy - mine needs to be replace every 2 to 3 months (which seems far too soon).  Obviously battery quality is a factor as well as how often you/I lock unlock luggage etc...  I carry spares in my jacket pocket, under the motorcycle seat, and in the trunk. 

Rich
Rich
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Erable wrote: Regarding battery life expectancy - mine needs to be replace every 2 to 3 months (which seems far too soon).  Obviously battery quality is a factor as well as how often you/I lock unlock luggage etc...  I carry spares in my jacket pocket, under the motorcycle seat, and in the trunk. 

Rich
Wow!!!

I am assuming you do not keep the key near the bike when it is not in use, which might keep it "talking" to the bike 24/7?

2 to 3 months battery life? I would going back to the dealership as it sounds like an issue with the bike or key-fob.

I never changed the batteries on either my 2015 or 2018 R1200RTs and they were working fine when I sold the bikes at 36 and 18 months old.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Erable

Post by Erable »

I'm the second owner - no warranty and they're not going to help me out of the goodness of their heart(s)...I've already discussed it with them and they suggested a new ($400CAD) FOB...  I might dismantle it one day and look for a poor solder connection perhaps making a constant circuit (but not a short circuit...) - and hard to say how far apart the bike/FOB should be...I'm guessing 15 feet and a couple of walls apart.

Yes, very annoying
Rich
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Erable wrote: I'm the second owner - no warranty and they're not going to help me out of the goodness of their heart(s)...I've already discussed it with them and they suggested a new ($400CAD) FOB...  I might dismantle it one day and look for a poor solder connection perhaps making a constant circuit (but not a short circuit...) - and hard to say how far apart the bike/FOB should be...I'm guessing 15 feet and a couple of walls apart.

Yes, very annoying
15 feet and a wall, should be enough, but who am I to know? Perhaps try leaving it as far away as possible for a few months just to be sure?

I always purchase a second keyless fob for my bikes, just for my piece of mind. Outrageously expensive I know but then so is the bike!
If you were to purchased a second "keyless" key, get the stealership to to code it to the bike and see if that key's battery lasts longer. Then if it works you have prove the original key is faulty, if not (worst case) at least you have a spare "real" key.
Good luck with whatever course action to take.

2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Well I'm still on the same battery after a year and a half :) I use my bike a lot all year around
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

Same experience here - I didn't have to change the fob battery in my last bike in the 2 and a half years that I had it. Although I do carry a spare, just in case it's needed.

Maybe battery type is important? With my car keys, I've found that Varta or Panasonic batteries last longer than other brands? ???