Seats

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Have i bought a money pit

Seats

Post by Have i bought a money pit »

Hi all. I have a 2016 R1200 and neither heated seats work.
It appears on my dash lights that it is on, but they just don't get warm.
My heated grips work just fine, but not the seats.
Any and all ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
eral

Re: Seats

Post by eral »

They stopped working on my 2012 after about six years. I got some custom seats and they still would not heat so the failure is not at the seat level. Then the left grip stopped working. Leaving in California with a short commute, I managed to survive these dark times :)
-oSò

eral wrote: They stopped working on my 2012 after about six years. I got some custom seats and they still would not heat so the failure is not at the seat level. Then the left grip stopped working. Leaving in California with a short commute, I managed to survive these dark times :)
Must be nice! We're just starting to head into winter across the pond here. My grips are nice and warm at least. Shame about the seat.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

[size=0px]Hi all. I have a 2016 R1200 and neither heated seats work. [/size][size=0px][size=0px]It appears on my dash lights that it is on, but they just don't get warm..... [/size][size=0px][size=0px][size=0px]Any and all ideas are welcome.....[/size][size=0px]

Should I presume you've checked that your seats actually have the heater elements and the connector for each seat is connected ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

The under seat connectors can look to be ok, but from personal experience they do need a firm push to ensure they are fully home and making a good contact. Hope that's the easy fix for you.
eral

Post by eral »

In my case, I got some nice leather seats and had to change the connectors with some that could easily be probed with a volt-meter. The tension (V) was erratic and the new seats never got warm. There was something wrong upstream. For handlebars, I think a common failure is that the resistive circuit gets shorted with the bar due to pressure overtime, but for the seats I am pretty sure that was not the case.
-oSò
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

Just a word of caution, using a voltmeter - especially a poor quality one with a low sample rate -  on this type of system will yield unexpected measurements. You need an oscilloscope to figure out what is actually going on.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I have a 2016 too.  The heated seats work but take forever to warm up.  I thought mine didn't work too!  It takes about 20 miles......

Hi all.
After reading the last post I decided to give my seat one more chance.
Low and behold it works!
So thank you all for your advice.