Top case, old or new model?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Classico

Top case, old or new model?

Post by Classico »

It’s decided I need a topcase for my 1200 RT LC, well my wife needs one to feel safer!

From a rational standpoint I should go for a Givi or Shad which are much cheaper and better designed than BMW ones BUT if I were to be rational I wouldnt have bought an RT so I’ll be consistant and will buy a BMW top case.

Mine is a wethead so i could fit the later box, trouble is it goes well over 1000€. Fine it links to your central locking, has interior light, carpet... but is just too expensive.

I’m thinking on the earlier topcase which fits the wethead too. I can get it new for about 500€.

What do you think about this earlier case?

k900r

Re: Top case, old or new model?

Post by k900r »

I’ve had both. The old one on a 2005 and a new one on a 2014 LC. Both have that nice pillion back rest my wife loves.
The old one is soooooeasy to remove/add on and I like that it had a handle.
The new one though, like you say has central locking, a high level brake light if you add one. It’s a great case. A pain to remove though, takes ages to undo the pillion seat, unplug the cable etc so I always leave it on.
Give the the choice though I’d go with the new one for the benefits, maybe look for used ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Not used new one because of cost and take on and off a lot so handle important. See no benefit of carpet /interior light. Gas strut and brake light just not worth region of £500+ to me.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Classico wrote: What do you think about this earlier case?

My older top-case has been permanently mounted on 3 different RTs over the past 15 years (my garage has insufficient width to keep the panniers permanently mounted).

The gas struts on the new case take up room but the new box is longer, sleeker and shallower. Users of XXL-sized flip-up helmets need to check that the lid will close on the new box.

Hope this helps.
John Bentall
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

I have had both and each has bits that make it better than the other, most of which have already been mentioned.
With regard to the carpet in the newer model, I have had to remove it because it makes stowing my BMW helmet very fiddly, it can be done but it is a right faff with the carpet in. The lack of a handle is also a bit of a nuisance, but I love the central locking so I would always chose the newer one ans so far mine has been on three bikes (I like getting my moneys worth!).
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Col

Post by Col »

I bought an old model, pre LC, 2nd hand for £280 UK for my 2016. Very pleased with it and so is my wife. New one would be another £800 [emoji23][emoji23] Madness

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Col on Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eral

Post by eral »

Some dude busted my original top case simply hammering a screwdriver in. These locks are very complex, yet highly insecure since just punching them opens the trunk. Now I bought a large Givi and the back rest is less comfortable. Cheaper and safer, I want my passengers to stay aware, not lounging in the back. Riding two-up is team work. I like having the case there for safety though, the bike is zippy enough that one could lose a distracted passenger.
-oSò
Motorhead1977

Post by Motorhead1977 »

I have the older model top box. Had it painted to match my Mars Red bike. It's just fine, fits 2 full face Arai helmets, one XL and one XS and as mentioned, easy on and off. No brake light on it but I added a set of Hyperlights (stop, turn and running) to my bike for far less than cost of the extra brake light option on the newer case and they're on the bike even if the top box isn't.  I wouldn't change my decision.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

BMW case. So much nicer looking, 10 screws (IIRC) and the lid comes off so you can get it colour (color?) matched.
add - sorry I mis-read the question.
Last edited by Old-Git on Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

What years were the old model topbox made ? i would like to know many thanks ,
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

The "old-model" cases are for the 2005-2013 pre-water-cooled RT's.

John Bentall