Crazy Costs

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Crazy Costs

Post by hammo »

Just been reading the specs on the new Ducati Multistrada, the basic standard starts at £15,495, if you require the "S" model it comes in at £18,395, this is with "Skyhook" suspension and Stylema Brakes , is it me or why would you have pay an extra £2900 pounds for suspension and brakes ? is,nt the standard suspension and brakes on the bike safe or good enough? crazy times . 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Crazy Costs

Post by Casbar »

Remember years ago when I bought my first BMW 3 Series, you couldn't get a car with a standard steering wheel included, every one was an extra cost. Couldn't even use a set of mole grips :)
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

hammo wrote: Just been reading the specs on the new Ducati Multistrada, the basic standard starts at £15,495, if you require the "S" model it comes in at £18,395, this is with "Skyhook" suspension and Stylema Brakes , is it me or why would you have pay an extra £2900 pounds for suspension and brakes ? is,nt the standard suspension and brakes on the bike safe or good enough? crazy times .
Looking at the BMW configurator for the new-version RT, due early next year, the 'SE' model has disappeared and the only versions available are the 'basic' at £15,815 and the 'LE' at £19,100, which are in-line with the Ducati pricing. The default colour is Alpine White, but if you want anything other than that, it's an additional £415, £590 or (eek!) £1,740 for alternative colours. Crazy indeed! :)
...but we keep on buying them!!! :)
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

RTs4me wrote: Looking at the BMW configurator for the new-version RT, due early next year, the 'SE' model has disappeared and the only versions available are the 'basic' at £15,815 and the 'LE' at £19,100, which are in-line with the Ducati pricing. The default colour is Alpine White, but if you want anything other than that, it's an additional £415, £590 or (eek!) £1,740 for alternative colours. Crazy indeed! :)
...but we keep on buying them!!! :)
BMW and the other bike manufacturers sussed out years ago that motorcycling is now part of the leisure industry. People with a reasonable disposable income or the "PCP" generation are their target customer base.

The accountants department probably feel that they can charge what they want as long as people keep buying them. "Keep nudging the prices up chaps, let's see how much they're prepared to pay to live the dream."

How many individuals that are in the market for a new bike will use it as their only form of transport? Not many I suspect.

I'm guilty of buying into it but its my money and I'll spend it on what I want. However, I still draw the line at paying £1750 for sparkly white paint.

Last edited by MikeS on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Think SE version is still available.
[attach=1]

Bikes are becoming expensive and charging for paint is bloody cheeky. Think I will keep mine for a few more years yet.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 17.27.27.png