Plug Wiring Query

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Plug Wiring Query

Post by Our Gee »

Please can anyone offer some knowledge on how to wire the small plug which plugs into the Horn on the Twincam RT. The plug has a part number as follows
1718555-1. I have a new plug and am unsure as to how to insert/attach the two wires. At the wire "entry" end there appears to be two blue plugs where the wires should insert' I would rather wait until someone knows the technique can offer their knowledge rather mess this up.
Thanks.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Plug Wiring Query

Post by Graham88 »

The contacts have a barb that locks into the plug. The blue things are grommets that keep water out. To assemble, the grommets are pushed over the wire, the wire is then stripped and a contact is crimped on, the contact is then pushed into the connector until it clicks and finally the grommet is pushed up into the connector.
You will need some contacts (cheap) and a crimping tool (not cheap).
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Here's a nice video (in German) showing the above procedure, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey8Tx-Ww3DY

Looks like when it is correctly assembled, the grommet is secured to the wire during the crimping process, see 1:23.
Last edited by David. on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

Crimping the grommet sounds right but I haven't ever done it as my generic crimp tool can't do it. The connector in the video is a different series however.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thanks for the info chaps. Looks like it may be more cost effective to order the BMW Repair plug which comes with a length of wire already attached.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ratchet-Crim ... SwvG9frs3q
Either that or get one of these, the actual contacts cost pennies.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Still haven't made my mind up which way to go with this. I have disassembled the plug I have just to see how it works and see that the Blue Grommet seals do not have a hole through which to insert the wires which does seem strange.
Also there are lots of the terminal pieces available but not any info as to which size would fit the TE /BMW plug. The TE Connector's Web Site is very complicated and not much help at all.

Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

They are an MCON 1.2 connector, best place to go is RS - The below is a link for 10 of the female contacts

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/automotive-connector-terminals/9097794/

Edit: If you look at page 13 of the datasheet for this contact it will explain the colour codes for the various seals, blue is indeed a blanking plug, other colours available for different diameter wires.
Last edited by Graham88 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

That's a fantastic help Graham and very much appreciated.
Best Regards.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Finally finished the job so a couple of points which may be of interest. I omitted to say at the start that the reason I needed info was that I planned to discard the single originally fitted Horn (which as we know sounds like a choking mouse) and install a pair of Twin Tone Bosch horns as fitted to the 2005 RT.  After finally getting to grips with the tiny 1.2 Macon connectors (which incidentally did not fit into the T.E. BMW Plug without modification). It was necessary to remove the locking "barb" before assembly into the plug could be achieved. One of the Twin Tone horns is fitted in the place vacated by the single horn under the headstock and the other Twin Tone is mounted on an existing bracket located on the left (UK nearside) next to the Oil pipe which runs to / from the Oil Cooler. The supply to the Horn under the Headstock is via the original BMW plug and the supply to the other Twin Tone is taken from this original wiring using Scotchlok connectors to effect an parallel supply. The Twin tone Bosch Horns are available from BMW but are quite expensive at around £100. It did take me a while but I managed to source a used pair from Motoparts-Europe who operate from a modern breaking facility in Belgium. Ordered on a Thursday, they arrived Saturday morning, very well packaged, in good clean tested condition, and at £17 quite a bargain. Delivery was about £14. Couple of pics of the installation to follow. Thanks again to Graham and David for help and info.
Last edited by Our Gee on Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:One of the Twin Tone horns is fitted in the place vacated by the single horn under the headstock.
Our Gee wrote:The other Twin Tone is mounted on an existing bracket located on the left (UK nearside) next to the Oil pipe which runs to / from the Oil Cooler.