R1200RTW Farkles, Accessories, and Modifications

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

R1200RTW Farkles, Accessories, and Modifications

Post by Boxflyer »

An Overview of what will be covered in 6 videos to follow, with details covering choices, reasons, and installation notes on most everything highlighted here.
[size=15px]
[/size]

https://youtu.be/W558WWFcIPE

RC51 Tofuman

Re: R1200RTW Farkles, Accessories, and Modifications

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

Nicely done

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Dang, Boxflyer!  Can you sleep at night, or are you thinking: What else can I do to make things better?  I guess your grip shields help,  but I found the fairing seemed specifically designed to sent the airflow up your sleeve.  In a total DIY move, I just cut and drilled thick plastic and screwed it to the mirror housing.  Same with the mirrors.  Ain't pretty, but they work.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Interesting to hear the suggested Tyre combination of  Roadsmart 3 Rear coupled with the Bridgestone T31GT Front. This usually brings comments of doom and a visit to A and E !!. Still, an excellent post from Boxflyer, Thanks.
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Boxflyer »

I now have 70k miles on my '16RT, as well as all the tires for my '08RT and '13 K1600, I've been measuring tires (tyres) for a long time. Between all the tires I've purchased and mounted for myself, and all the tires for my buddy's bikes I've seen LOTS.
Tracking/measuring tread with my digital depth gauge, it's become standard to see new FR tire total tread at 4.00mm and new Rears at 6.00mm.
The Dunlop RS3 consistently measure at about 6.5 to 6.6mm and the BS T-31GT front is about 4.3 to 4.4mm…so almost 10% deeper tread to start with.

I have a set of Michelin Road5 waiting to be used, and the Rear measures at 6.5mm which is good, but the FR is just 4.1mm, like many others. 

Taking that the total cost of the tire divided into the miles before hitting the wear bars, or cupping render the tire unbearable, the RS3 rear and T-31GT give me the most satisfied miles per $$$.

During the summer of 2019, I did several trips that would almost consume a set of tires before returning home where I could mount up another fresh set.

I learned a valuable lesson with one set in particular…I packed the panniers out of balance from side to side by about 15 pounds with my tools and spares heading to do a WetHead Tech Day in Colorado riding from Rhode Island.
Because the bike's center of gravity was offset to one side, I basically rode with the bike leaned over to compensate for the poor weight distribution.  I estimate that I lost about 1000mi of useful life for that rear tire because one side of the tread hit the wear bars before any other part of the tire met a rejection criteria.

As far as mixing tires, I think that the important factor in believing it could be a problem deals with the tire ply/cord construction.  Since I've ridden with several brands of Radial tires FR and Rear, I've never had a problem with handling/grip or any negative issue.
Now I will say, I tried to mix a Biased ply FR with a Radial Rear and was really amazed at how "squirrely" the bike became.  It really was scary the way the front tire would almost go into a "tank slapper" when you encountered a section of road that had been shaved smooth, or one that had been grooved like crossing a bridge…so I agree with the warning about mixing CONSTRUCTION types, but not necessarily brands with similar construction.

Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Definitely with you on this one, I myself have never intentionally "mixed" tyres from different manufactures  but on a few occasions such as when a "paired" replacement has not been available I have run different brands front and rear without any nasty moments. The last time I had used such an "odd" combination on an RT was with a Dunlop Roadsmart 1 Front and a Avon Spirit ST Rear. Apologies if this is drifting off your excellent thread.
Rwslater
United States of America

Post by Rwslater »

Great video! I received the set of tires you recommended and they will be going on soon.  Thanks for all your help and I love your videos

Ron
Dartman340ta

Post by Dartman340ta »

I bought a 2015 1200 rt ..  it’s now due for a set of tires box flyer it has Michelin road 4 frt and rear but the frt chopped pretty good even the back chopped .I was just wondering if the road 5 due this or not.  I’ve run Michelin tires for a long time never have I had them chop like these ones.  May be the man that own it before did t keep his air pressure right or something n that order.cause if they due I’ll be going a different route on tires.    :spam:
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Dartman340ta wrote: I bought a 2015 1200 rt ..  it’s now due for a set of tires box flyer it has Michelin road 4 frt and rear but the frt chopped pretty good even the back chopped .I was just wondering if the road 5 due this or not.  I’ve run Michelin tires for a long time never have I had them chop like these ones.  May be the man that own it before did t keep his air pressure right or something n that order.cause if they due I’ll be going a different route on tires.    :spam:

So Daetman, what mileage is on those tyres??
Dartman340ta

Post by Dartman340ta »

I’m really not sure of the mileage on the tires . The bike had 23,000 in the last month I’ve put 3000 on it .  The frt is now done.  The back still has some left
Midnight Runner
Great Britain

Post by Midnight Runner »

Excellent video and very informative. I will look forward to 1/6 protection overview, your next in this series.

I’ve only just recently taken possession of a new 1250rt so have found your videos a great source of information.