Illium works Crash Bars

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
srpuywa

Illium works Crash Bars

Post by srpuywa »

Had these fitted to my 2020 RT last week, just want everyone to know that the clearance on the right side is very tight.  I called illium works and they said it is normal and that they might rub on the fairing on some bikes.Image
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Illium works Crash Bars

Post by Casbar »

The clearance will be tight. On all boxer engines the left hand cylinder is offset forward :) If it wasn't the engine wouldn't work, it is the same on all boxers. Therefore there can not be the same clearance on both sides, or the engine bars would be offset.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Illium works Crash Bars

Post by bicyclenut »

On my 2010 the Heed crash bars fit closer and do touch the fairing slightly on the lower part of the right side as well.

I might add it’s no big deal, just takes a little extra maneuver to install. Tip over at gas pump when sidestand wasn’t locked in place and when parked on hill and both times no damage beside a scrap on my highway pegs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by bicyclenut on Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 190 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

On my 2016 the Heed bars fit perfect and come with added belly pan protection.Can't fault them.
Brian Mac

Post by Brian Mac »

I had an off on the Dalveen Pass in Scotland 8 weeks ago when I met two sheep right on the apex of a left hand bend. I was able to put the bike down on the grass verge while I bounced down the tarmac.

My crash bars worked as designed, once I got the bike back up onto the centre stand and let the oil drain back in she fired right back up and I drove her home (another 30 miles). I had no damage or marks on the bike apart from some mud and grass.

Moral of the story is to fit any protection you can as it can and will save the day or you could end up with very expensive repairs.

Only had to replace my helmet and take pain killers for a few weeks as I had bruised my left side ribs bouncing down the road

Brian
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

srpuywa wrote: Had these fitted to my 2020 RT last week, just want everyone to know that the clearance on the right side is very tight.  I called illium works and they said it is normal and that they might rub on the fairing on some bikes.Image

Good to have the head protector as well.

My RT was blown over (?) off the side stand at the weekend, and - even with Ilium crash bars - I will be replacing a cylinder head cover.

I'll also have to either replace or re-powder coat the Ilium bar itself, which is a PITA.  All in, with all the minor cosmetic scratches and scrapes it's about $3600 in parts alone to return the beast to pristine, from a simple zero-mph tip over.

After years of virtually no-cost flinging of a GSA all over the place, hardtop & gravel roads, fields and ditches it's a bit disappointing.
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a
Kim_Y
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Kim_Y »

Wow, how could this add up to $3600?  The video at Illium shows the bars do a great job of protecting the bike on a tip-over.
-Kim Y.
Kunkies

Post by Kunkies »

Agree with Jack.  Our R1200GS/GSA bretherin simply smirk when their bikes tip over, circle, initial & date the damage with a sharpie and move on  ;) . . . not so much on the [much more] cosmetic R1200RT.  Best thing you can do is find a good local body shop, paint matching resource.
-Bob