New member here

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
lad in the shed

New member here

Post by lad in the shed »

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I have owned touring bikes since 1981 and have covered around 400,000 miles on them in that time. I think it is time for a change and am looking to replace my current bike which is 8 seasons old and has about 90k on it. I fancy an R1250RT, but am put off by many stories of unreliability, getting rid after the warranty expires due to expensive problems, high service and repair costs etc. Are these from people who dont know what they are talking about and scaremongers, or should I be concerned?
Just a few lines will do with a basic, "nothing to worry about" or "tread carefully".
My friend did 500,000 miles on his R69S from the early 1960's and eventually changed everything but the swing arm over the bikes life of 30 years he owned it, which I consider acceptable for the era. On the other hand, 2 friends have newer BMWs and both have had very expensive repair bills for things I would not consider are acceptable on modern machines. So, what do you think? No need for long rants or opinions, just a few lines with, "yes I would have another" or "no chance"
I am well aware that motorcycling is now becoming a brand thing, but that isn't me. I have no allegiance to any manufacturer and if it's good it's good. If its poor it's no good to me.
Many thanks
Last edited by lad in the shed on Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: New member here

Post by hammo »

Everyone will have there own opinion about there bike , from experience i have owned my 2018 RTLE since new,  13,000 mile later and all i have done is fit a new set of tyres and top up the coolant , as too reliability i have not met anyone who has had a serious problem with there machine , warranty wise you can take out your own extended warranty which i found to be very reasonable through BMW services , all things said i am very happy with my BMW hope you find what you require . 
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

2017 with 41,000 miles. had rear shock and tpms replaced under warranty. Would I buy again, Hell yes as nothing else as good for what I want.
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Talisker »

I have the excellent 2020 RTLE.  I also have a 2009 Goldwing .... just in case! ;)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

lad in the shed wrote:
Good evening ladies and gentlemen.

No need for long rants or opinions, just a few lines with, "yes I would have another" or "no chance"

Good evening.

I've got two. Most problems usually rear their head whilst the bike is still under warranty, once the bike is out of warranty it's just like anything else, look after it and it'll look after you.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

Not my ‘15 RT, but my ‘98 K1200RS that I bought new did 134,000 miles with nothing but periodic fluid changes, brake pads, valve inspections, and tires. Maintain the bike and you should have nothing to worry about.
Last edited by emlevy on Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

lad in the shed wrote: Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I have owned touring bikes since 1981 and have covered around 400,000 miles on them in that time. I think it is time for a change and am looking to replace my current bike which is 8 seasons old and has about 90k on it. I fancy an R1250RT, but am put off by many stories of unreliability, getting rid after the warranty expires due to expensive problems, high service and repair costs etc. Are these from people who dont know what they are talking about and scaremongers, or should I be concerned?
Just a few lines will do with a basic, "nothing to worry about" or "tread carefully".
My friend did 500,000 miles on his R69S from the early 1960's and eventually changed everything but the swing arm over the bikes life of 30 years he owned it, which I consider acceptable for the era. On the other hand, 2 friends have newer BMWs and both have had very expensive repair bills for things I would not consider are acceptable on modern machines. So, what do you think? No need for long rants or opinions, just a few lines with, "yes I would have another" or "no chance"
I am well aware that motorcycling is now becoming a brand thing, but that isn't me. I have no allegiance to any manufacturer and if it's good it's good. If its poor it's no good to me.
Many thanks

Nothing to worry about - but if you're after 100% reliability, you'll stand a better chance with an FJR1300 or a Goldwing.
The 1250 Shiftcam engine is unproven in terms of reliability over 100,000 miles.
Didn't stop me from buying it, though.
Have you considered the peace of mind of an extended warranty?
John Bentall
lad in the shed

Post by lad in the shed »

Thanks for the replies, all very helpful.
I guess, like most stuff nowadays, look after it and it will look after you. Going to book a ride when the restrictions lift