Paint protection film

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Paint protection film

Post by MikeS »

Anybody got any recommendations for clear paint protection films?
My knees have been rubbing against the underside of the tank, when I checked the oil today I could see that the paint has dulled slightly. This is on both sides.
Just looking for something that is pre- cut and covers the area to stop it getting any worse.
Looked on Nippy Normans site and could  find pre-shaped pieces for the back of the tank but what I need is something that will cover the underside (just above where the grey panel meets the painted tank).
[attach=1]

Just in front of where this stuff ends.

Attachments
99133.jpg
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Re: Paint protection film

Post by RTs4me »

I've just fitted this Hornig product to my R1250RT.

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... ction.html

It's good quality and was easy to fit  :)
k900r

Post by k900r »

I know you said you wanted something pre-cut, but I used regular PPF and made a DIY template. Easy and an awful lot more reasonably priced than the precut stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

MikeS wrote: Anybody got any recommendations for clear paint protection films?
My knees have been rubbing against the underside of the tank, when I checked the oil today I could see that the paint has dulled slightly. This is on both sides.
Just looking for something that is pre- cut and covers the area to stop it getting any worse.
Looked on Nippy Normans site and could  find pre-shaped pieces for the back of the tank but what I need is something that will cover the underside (just above where the grey panel meets the painted tank).
[attach=1]

Just in front of where this stuff ends.

I've always had mine professionally applied as it is not easy to get a clean finish on a complex-curve panel (it's easy for some!!). If you search for a Ventureshield installer, he should be able to put the film exactly where you need it.

Hope this helps. My chap has now moved to Sussex - the pandemic killed his own business in Outer London.

Regards,

John
John Bentall
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Thanks for the replies, gives me a few options to think about.

John, just remembered that you showed me the protection film on your RT at the Peterborough meet up this year. Very nice job, don't think I would have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out.
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Talisker »

Hi Mike, I wrapped my 1250 two weeks ago using an kit from paintguard UK.  The kit comprised of all pieces apart from the ones you describe.  I sent a reversible paper pattern to Steve at paintguard who made LHS and RHS pieces to fit.  You could make your own pattern, or if you like, I'll send you mine.  The pieces Steve made are a perfect fit and easy to apply as long as you have some patience and follow the instructions.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Talisker wrote: Hi Mike, I wrapped my 1250 two weeks ago using an kit from paintguard UK.  The kit comprised of all pieces apart from the ones you describe.  I sent a reversible paper pattern to Steve at paintguard who made LHS and RHS pieces to fit.  You could make your own pattern, or if you like, I'll send you mine.  The pieces Steve made are a perfect fit and easy to apply as long as you have some patience and follow the instructions.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look on their website.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

I got mine from The Tankslapperz. Absolutely brilliant stuff.
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Talisker »

Looks like a good recommendation from Bandytales.  Tankslapperz do the pieces you are after Mike.  I take it they will supply to a UK address?  If you use them don't forget you will need to pay import duty.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Yes, they supply to the UK.