Power plug for heated clothing

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
csmith

Power plug for heated clothing

Post by csmith »

Morning all.  Yesterday, I was enjoying a morning ride to a local soup kitchen I sometimes work at a church.  Realized my new bike doesn't yet have the battery pigtail for my Gerbing Heated vest and gloves that I had on all my previous wintertime rides (Honda PC800s & NT700).  Then I noticed a power plug near my right knee.  A quick look at the Gerbing online store shows me an adapter plug that appears to go from the BMW outlet to the Gerbing hookup for my dual-controller.

Can anyone confirm the BMW plug is adequate for powering the heated gear?

Thanks from Cameron in the suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where we've not yet had snow this year.
Cameron '17 BMW R1200 RT; '10 Honda NT700; '89 Yamaha FJ1200 with Comanche Sidebike sidecar
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Re: Power plug for heated clothing

Post by BoB21 »

both plugs on a wet head/liquid cooled (there may be one under left grab handle) run to 10 amp. jacket is about 6.6 don't know about your gloves.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

BoB21 wrote: both plugs on a wet head/liquid cooled (there may be one under left grab handle) run to 10 amp. jacket is about 6.6 don't know about your gloves.

Gloves are around 2.2 amps, well my new ones are :). So in theory if its the same as the wet heads it will be fine. A mate runs his vest and gloves from the DIN socket
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

BoB21 wrote: both plugs on a wet head/liquid cooled (there may be one under left grab handle) run to 10 amp. jacket is about 6.6 don't know about your gloves.

That is 10A combined (ie all the power outlets together can't draw more than that).
Mine were always shutting down, so they were re-wired via their own fused connection to the battery.
Kunkies

Post by Kunkies »

I run a Gerbing heated jacket and gloves through my 10amp power outlet and even cranked I've never exceeded 10amps
-Bob
csmith

Post by csmith »

Thanks for the replies.  I'll plan on getting one of the BMW adapter plug/cable to match my Gerbing gear.  While I commute year round and typically put on 7-8,000 miles, I bought this bike in January with 820 miles on the odometer and haven't hit 2,000 for the year.  Thus, it's unlikely I'll be testing the heated gear, given my commute continues to be only to a spare bedroom.
Cameron '17 BMW R1200 RT; '10 Honda NT700; '89 Yamaha FJ1200 with Comanche Sidebike sidecar