Cover for RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
boz29

Cover for RT

Post by boz29 »

Hello all

I'm a newb on the forum and a newb to BMW motorbikes, having just bought a 1250RT recently.  Looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced cover for the bike.  Ideally, I'd like it to fit with the panniers and top-case attached.  It doesn't have to be super heavyweight as the bike is garaged and not kept outside.  Basically, I want it to keep the dust off when garaged and to be protective and packable enough to use on tour.

Many thanks
G
PeteM

Re: Cover for RT

Post by PeteM »

I use a Nelson-Rigg XL Dust cover on mine for the same reason and it fits fine with enough spare to so it is easy to fit, I got it from Hog Parts (sorry...), part number 958338 although they are not currently listing it but might be worth giving them a ring as they were very helpful when I rang them a year ago. I am pretty sure the model number is DC-505-XL if you can find another Nelson-Rigg stockist in the UK
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

boz29 wrote: Hello all

I'm a newb on the forum and a newb to BMW motorbikes, having just bought a 1250RT recently.  Looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced cover for the bike.  Ideally, I'd like it to fit with the panniers and top-case attached.  It doesn't have to be super heavyweight as the bike is garaged and not kept outside.  Basically, I want it to keep the dust off when garaged and to be protective and packable enough to use on tour.

Many thanks
G

I would buy a cheap (non-waterproof) fabric cover for use inside the garage plus a small, weatherproof half cover for touring (such as the Oxford Umbratex).

I sometimes travel two-up when touring and have room for nothing more than a cover for the seat (to protect the Airhawk seat cushions).
John Bentall
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I bought an Ultragard half cover for my Pan European from Amazon.co.uk (https://www.amazon.com/UltraGard-4-458G-Charcoal-Touring-Motorcycle/dp/B000VVSPX2) [size=78%]for about £30, primarily as a dust cover for garage use, and also for covering the bike for both security and sun protection whilst touring.
In those uses it’s been excellent.
For an RT with top box you’d need a Goldwing size, I have no top box so can use one size down.
Last edited by Steve398 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

Old Foxy
Subscriber
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by Old Foxy »

+1for the Oxford Aquatex.
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I had an Oxford Stormex for ages, it was quite good but died after about 10 years. replaced it with...and Oxford Stormex, it was a different shape, different materials and started falling apart after a year. Seam tapes were especially weak. I now have a Wunderlich cover which is excellent, fits over all 3 boxes and goes down to the ground.
boz29

Post by boz29 »

I've used an Aquatex for other bikes and was pretty pleased with it.  I looked at them for the RT, but didn't think there was one big enough to cover panniers and top-case.  What size did you go for? 🤔
guest6818

Post by guest6818 »

I have a SKNZ full cover for my RT. I can't say it's inexpensive though and it's not exactly compact when folded up. I think the requirement to cover the top and side cases as well and be packable are kind of contrary requirements. As one other guy said, you might need a full cover and a smaller shade cover for touring. https://www.skn-it.com/collections/1200-rt/products/bmw-r1220rt-cover-storage . SKNZ has both types. They're stretchable and I've fit mine over both top and side cases.

Last edited by guest6818 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.