Low Heated Seat Option for 2011 R1200RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
artful

Low Heated Seat Option for 2011 R1200RT

Post by artful »

Hi Everyone,
I've had many bikes over the years, mostly sports, but bought my first R1200RT about a year ago so still feeling my way with it. As a retired professional mechanical engineer I'm pretty handy at doing things myself and have pretty well added the things I wanted like crash bars, SatNav and front & rear cameras. I have no problem riding and handling the bike but being a 29" inside leg I'd prefer to lower the rider seat a little. I would not prefer to alter the ground clearance so have been looking towards a low rider seat to replace the current standard heated seat as economically as possible. I can't find any good used for sale in the UK at the moment (in plain black) so wondered if it was possible to alter the standard seat by removing the cover and reshaping the substrate. I presume the heating pad is on top of the foam rather than embedded in it. Has anyone done this or can offer any advice, or does anyone know of a used low heated seat for sale.
Last edited by artful on Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Low Heated Seat Option for 2011 R1200RT

Post by David. »

artful wrote:Does anyone know of a used low heated seat for sale.
Depending on availability, Motorworks might have one, Used - Front seat low heated | SEE83648.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 0&spPage=1
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

artful wrote:Wondered if it was possible to alter the standard seat by removing the cover and reshaping the substrate. I presume the heating pad is on top of the foam rather than embedded in it. Has anyone done this or can offer any advice.
Haven't done this myself, but found a thread on BMWMOA which may indicate that the heating pad is indeed a separate element within the seat itself.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... arket-seat

"When Rocky built the seat, he was able to maintain the stock heating system, which is just a thin membrane that lays under the cover and on top of the foam."
Last edited by David. on Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artful

Post by artful »

Thanks for the replies.I tried Motoworks as I've used them previously but although it's listed (SEE83648) they don't currently have one. I called them about it and he did suggest that there are people who modify existing seats so I felt it was doable providing the heating system didn't prevent it. I can can another standard heated seat for around £100 as there are a few available to try and modify without risking destroying mine, so it's probably a matter of risking losing £100 if it goes badly wrong or shelling out around £330 for one from BMW.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

artful wrote:Does anyone know of a used low heated seat for sale.
viewtopic.php?p=55654#p55654