Swapping ZFE and other woes

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I have long had an issue with my bike, where the parking lights do not go off ever. It is an issue with the ZFE, the relevant pin is permanently live, and all I can do to stop the battery going flat is pull the plug into the lights under the dash when I park. Not ideal because a) I may forget and come back to a flat bettery and b) it is leaving the connector exposed so moisture could be getting in and doing naughty things.

I bought a second hand ZFE from well known auction site and swapped it in. The good news was that the lights went off and worked as they were supposed to. The screen calibrated again OK but when I went to calibrate the ESA the GS911 reported that the bike is not fitted with ESA. Boring. So that ZFE came out again.

A year passes.....

I buy another ZFE from a parts supplier in Germany, this time checking that I had the right model year. Swap the "new" unit in and fire up. Apart from the issue with the cruise control cable (see here https://www.1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=7) the lights went off (hurrah). Plug in the GS911 and try the ESA, it calibrates, a smile begins to cross my face, maybe it is finally cracked. The other ZFE calibrations that need to be done are the fuel strip and the screen. The easy one to do first is the screen, pull up the page... "this vehicle is not fitted with an electric windscreen".

So it appears that rather than having a common unit which senses which extras are fitted and which are not, each bike has a specific software load for the options fitted to it. To say this is a little frustrating is an understatement. Unless there is a way of editing the software on the ZFE it seems my only option is to find out how many limbs I will need to sacrifice in order to get a new unit fitted by a dealer, just to get the parking lights to switch on and off properly. Either that or I pull the bulbs and live with the broken bulb indication on the dash forever more.

Ho hum.
rangemaster728

Re: Swapping ZFE and other woes

Post by rangemaster728 »

When replacing a ZFE, it’s always a good idea to run the VIN of the donor bike (if available) and you can see the option codes and match them up with your bike.

Example:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PatM

Post by PatM »

Just a thought, couldn't these options be activated by a mechanic at a dealer?
Ride safe!
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

PatM wrote: Just a thought, couldn't these options be activated by a mechanic at a dealer?
They might be, if the dealer has the ISTA-P computer system for servicing, and if they’re willing to try and program a module that is a)not purchased from that dealer and b) a used part...

Sounds like an uphill battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This may not be the ideal solution, but how about installing an inline manual on/off switch in the wire supplying the side/parking lights.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this thread on BMWSportTouring, https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/8 ... zfe-units/

If it's correct, "Only a dealership can flash the ZFE. What's worse, a ZFE cannot be re-used on another bike because each one is set at the factory to work with only a single VIN number. So all these units for sale second-hand are useless."

One guy with a K1300GT got lucky, "My original part number was ZFE high 61357720229 the used one was ZFE high 61357720221", it worked.

A new ZFE is £550, https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-bike ... nth=01#sub
Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

David. wrote: This may not be the ideal solution, but how about installing an inline manual on/off switch in the wire supplying the side/parking lights.
Happy New Year, David...

I thought about this solution as well...if the OP has onboard accessory sockets and they shut off after the bike is keyed off (+ X seconds delay) the coil of a a small relay could be installed on that circuit to kill the lights.

rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

David. wrote: Found this thread on BMWSportTouring, https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/8 ... zfe-units/

If it's correct, "Only a dealership can flash the ZFE. What's worse, a ZFE cannot be re-used on another bike because each one is set at the factory to work with only a single VIN number. So all these units for sale second-hand are useless."

One guy with a K1300GT got lucky, "My original part number was ZFE high 61357720229 the used one was ZFE high 61357720221", it worked.

A new ZFE is £550, https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-bike ... nth=01#sub
On the subject of ZFEs...I have heard of others with used modules that did work, so it’s a bit of a mystery.

As we know on our Hexheads, the primary modules on CANbus are:

BMSK-P (a.k.a. the ECU)
ZFE (Body Control Module)
Kombi (Instrument cluster)
DWA/RDC (Antitheft module, with or without TPMS)
ABS (Braking)

I’ve utilized used Kombi, DWA and ABS units successfully. From what I’ve seen the one absolutely married to the VIN is the BMSK so if you buy one of those it should also come with the original bike keys as it communicates with the ring antenna to validate a key.

On rare occasions I’ve seen sets from parts recyclers with the BMSK, ZFE, antenna ring and keys...but you’d need to run the VIN for options.

The downside is that bit of used kit will likely cost you equal to or more than a new ZFE....plus your time to research the VIN to match options and swap out three modules and the ignition lock cylinder.

Last edited by rangemaster728 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

rangemaster728 wrote:The coil of a small relay could be installed on that circuit to kill the lights.
Even better, an automatic solution.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Evans
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

Has anyone ever tried doing stuff with ISTA-P software? There are some kits you can buy on a well known auction site, I might have a punt.
Thanks for all the feedback.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Nick, I would advise getting your ZFE (and other modules) updated to the latest version of the software. I would mean a trip to the dealer.

I took my 2005 to Vines and they were helpful. I also managed to get someone from BMW UK technical to check the results.

It resolved an issue where the pre-load adjustment was continually going out of tolerance and therefore stopped working.
John Bentall
Nick Evans
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

An update; the issue with the side lights went away (I have no idea why) and I got rid of the 09 and now have a 18 LC. First ride today!