Difficulty getting sidestand up

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
rickmeister
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2015
Australia

Difficulty getting sidestand up

Post by rickmeister »

I have a 2015 R1200RT. At times, I have great difficulty with getting the side stand up. At times I have needed to ask a bystander to flip it up for me! (v.embarrassing) The top of my shoe / boot doesn't at times doesn't get enough traction on the ball of the side stand so my foot keeps slipping off. I can't get my foot forward enough to use the heel onto the ball.

Has anyone else got / had this issue? Any ideas to overcome this problem?
Thanks, Rickmeister.
Frank123

Re: Difficulty getting sidestand up

Post by Frank123 »

Hi I bought and fitted a Nippy Norman side stand enlarger more of a grip than the basic side stand.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

50 years riding motorcycles and I too have found the RT (LC) to have the most awkwardly placed side stand of all the motorcycles I have owned, or had a ride on. Maybe it affects shorter legged riders than the taller ones?
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Maybe a low-tech solution?  Glue a bit of thin rubber on the ball?  Personally, it took me a while to get the trick of getting the side stand down.  Not slippery, just hard to learn where your foot should go, and not be confused with the center stand's foot plate.
rickmeister
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2015
Australia

Post by rickmeister »

Thanks for the reply, gents!Frank...I don't know and have never heard of a "Nippy Norman" Any chance of a description or photo?
Jack...Thanks...at the moment I have a small hose clamp, up tight around the ball, with the screw head towards the rear and facing down. Will definitely try the gluing of the rubber around the ball.
Cheers, Rickmeister.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Interesting to note that this particular problem is pretty well known about. Anyone who follows Noraly Schoenmaker "Itchy Boots", on her Worldwide Solo Motorcycle Expeditions (available on U-Tube) will have seen her trying to cope with this very design fault when riding a Dutch Police W.C. RT. Have a look at the episode below at about 15.35 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMp-oEyKh1s
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I've got one of these on my 1250 and it helps get the side stand down as well as stopping it sinking in soft tarmac, mud, gravel etc. however, it makes no difference to getting it back up which was the OPs question.

Personal I am also short and I tend to use my heal to flip it up, not the easiest to do but manageable.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

PeteM wrote:
I've got one of these on my 1250 and it helps get the side stand down as well as stopping it sinking in soft tarmac, mud, gravel etc. however, it makes no difference to getting it back up which was the OPs question.

Personal I am also short and I tend to use my heal to flip it up, not the easiest to do but manageable.
Me also, (don't use my heel tho)  would be interested in a solution.....
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

A side stand enlarger similar to this one with a loop would allow the following solution.

"Maybe worth a try - obtain some Mason Line (string). Measure the distance from your side stand loop to the middle of the bike seat. Cut a length of line twice as long as the measured distance - plus a little more. Prior to getting on your bike, run one end of the line through the loop on your side stand - now you should have both ends of the string in your left hand, sit on your bike and be able to pull your side stand to the retracted position. Release one end of the line, retrieve the line and place in your pocket or tank bag for the next time needed."

With the standard Wethead side stand, this may be possible by placing the string below the peg.

Illium Works do this side stand enlarger for the Wethead, could drill a small hole in the extension tab.

Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

My dealer says that BMW are to issue a Side Stand Retraction Kit free of charge to any W.C. RT owner who has an inside leg measurement less than 32". He says that the item described above sound very similar to the Genuine Factory item but that owners should be aware that any "Non Factory" solution applied to the bike may invalidate the warranty. Also customers should be prepared to have their inside leg measurement checked and verified by a BMW Technician who will have attended a Tape Rule Proficiency course. Dealers will have both Male and Female staff available and that customers can request measurement by either gender (now that sounds interesting !!).
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

That sounds like a Monty Python routine, perhaps entitled:  "The Unseemly Inseam Scenario".  If they're pulling your leg, watch out - maybe they'll try to stretch beyond 32" to void the upgrade!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Our Gee wrote: My dealer says that BMW are to issue a Side Stand Retraction Kit free of charge to any W.C. RT owner who has an inside leg measurement less than 32". He says that the item described above sound very similar to the Genuine Factory item but that owners should be aware that any "Non Factory" solution applied to the bike may invalidate the warranty. Also customers should be prepared to have their inside leg measurement checked and verified by a BMW Technician who will have attended a Tape Rule Proficiency course. Dealers will have both Male and Female staff available and that customers can request measurement by either gender (now that sounds interesting !!).

Maybe less air in the tyres might help also :)
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

It's interesting to note that the first time I heard about this problem whilst viewing the recent "Itchy Boots" video of Noraly riding the Dutch Police RT. Then I came across this thread where one of our own has the very same problem. As the W.C. RT's have been production for around seven years now (boy, doesn't time fly) I'm wondering if this has always been a problem or has there been a change to later built models ?.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The same side stand is fitted to both the Wethead & Shifthead since they were first produced in 2013.