Difficulty getting sidestand up

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
PeteM

Re: Difficulty getting sidestand up

Post by PeteM »

Casbar wrote:
Maybe less air in the tyres might help also :)

I know you are taking the mick but...

One thing I do when two up and with luggage to make life easier for manoeuvring, putting side stand up and down, getting SWMBO on and off the bike etc. is to put the suspension into it's softest position to effectively lower the bike, then when you are set to move off I put it back to auto and off we go. Helps us a lot (Both vertically challenged, SWMBO disabled with limited mobility).
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

David. wrote: The same side stand is fitted to both the Wethead & Shifthead since they were first produced in 2013.

Yes but is the location pivot point on the frame the same as the previous model and is the frame indeed the same ?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The frame is the same for both the Wethead & Shifthead.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Our Gee wrote: It's interesting to note that the first time I heard about this problem whilst viewing the recent "Itchy Boots" video of Noraly riding the Dutch Police RT. Then I came across this thread where one of our own has the very same problem. As the W.C. RT's have been production for around seven years now (boy, doesn't time fly) I'm wondering if this has always been a problem or has there been a change to later built models ?.

Got to say, I'm only 5ft 8in and have a 31 inch leg on a good day. But I have owned a 2014 for 5 years, now a 1250 and ride 1200 and 1250 RTps and have never experienced any issues with flicking the side stand up and didn't even know there was a problem until I read this thread :) I have also got a good mate, who is a fair bit shorter than me and he has never mentioned any issues and when I've ridden with him I haven't seen him struggle.
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Since i bought my bike in 2016 the first time I came across the problem when I put my bike in for a minor service and the 'nice' guy in the workshop oiled/greased up the side stand mechanism so that it was no longer stiff and would not half stick in position when I was trying to kick it down with my left foot. Had to get a passerby to push down the stand.
rickmeister
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2015
Australia

Post by rickmeister »

Interesting responses! Thank you. I haven't had a chance yet with the small hose clamp screwed firmly on the ball. I guess when all else fails I could try the piece of string idea. Another thought is to remove the side stand and weld a steel "hook" to the ball, pointing to the rear and the hook part pointing down ward when the side stand is down, again to provide some sort of traction to the top of the boot.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

David. wrote: The frame is the same for both the Wethead & Shifthead.

What's a "Shifthead"
R2K

Post by R2K »

Our Gee wrote:
What's a "Shifthead"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Its a Shiftcam engine, unless the head shifts, which mine doesn't and I've watched it a lot :)
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 230 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

David. wrote:
What side stand foot is this please, and would it fit the LC? Looking through the various forums I've seen mention of a side stand enlarger for the Police model but can't find a photo of it... anybody know what it looks like please?

I test rode an LC six weeks ago and bought it on 15th Dec, a couple of days later it was delivered and there it sits having not turned a wheel since  :( .  I enjoyed the test ride but when I got back to the Dealers I do remember looking down and thinking "Where the hell's the side stand?" and it was a bit of a performance to reach for it and get it down. Perhaps more practice is needed!
Last edited by Steve398 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Steve398 wrote:What side stand foot is this please.
The side stand foot shown above, (as an example),  is made by Ilium Works for Hexhead & Camhead RT's, not Wethead or Shifthead.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Steve398 wrote:I've seen mention of a side stand enlarger for the Police model but can't find a photo of it.

https://fmsaccessories.com/side-stand-extension

Installation Instructions, https://fmsaccessories.com/ProductInsru ... 7-2020.pdf
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

As previously mentioned it was a Police Model that Noraly (Itchy Boots) rode and had difficulty with. Incidentally, she also had difficulty with the Gear Shift lever. Although we know that his can be adjusted.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This Wethead RTP doesn't look like it's got a side stand extension fitted, (click on photo to zoom in).

Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've got a wethead RTp in my garage at the moment 2015 model, exactly the same side stand that was on my 1200 and is on my 1250